Chapter 15. Falling Masks

🖤
I want you to want me
Why don't we rely on chemistry
Why don't we collide the spaces that divide us
🖤

Josephine Barry had a tragical romance.

A tragical romance because it had to be lived with adversity and resistance.

Josephine Barry or Aunt Jo, as most people call her, is not an ordinary woman.

Her life so far has been a lot of struggle, but she can be proud of herself because she fought all of her battles with flying colors.

With a lot of fighting spirit and willpower, she was able to take over the Barry Empire, which was founded by her grandfather. Thanks to her, it was made a worldwide figurehead.

Her nephew and father of Diana Barry, William Barry, is still jealous of it today but the biggest fight Josephine Barry had to fight wasn't the fight for the Barry Empire. It was the fight for her love.

At a time when homosexuality was one of the greatest taboos, Josephine fell in love with a woman.

Instead of fighting off the screams in her heart, she listened to them and started a relationship with Gertrude.

Gertrude and Josephine lived a happy life as life partners. All of what they fought for paid off through mutual love.

Unfortunately, goodbyes are inevitable. Gertrude died of a heart attack two years ago. It was a difficult and sad time for Aunt Jo. It took her time to accept her grief and face it, but it made her stronger than she already is.

To honor her love for Gertrude and her life, Aunt Jo organizes a soirée twice a year. In December on the anniversary of Gertrude's death, and in summer to celebrate her birthday.

The life and love that you give and get back from others is something precious that must be valued and Aunt Jo does this every day.

This year's summer soirée is just around the corner. The summer soirée should have a very specific motto and so Aunt Jo decided to hold a masquerade ball.

A masquerade ball, an event where people hide their faces, but feelings are not to be hidden.

There are feelings that can't be suppressed, but the problem with feelings is that they are often difficult to interpret.

It's time for masks to fall.

🖤🖤🖤

Diana Barry is happy. Her relationship with Jerry Baynard is a relationship built on trust and unconditional love and her parents love him. Her little sister Minnie May adores Jerry and would love to marry him herself.

All Diana Barry is missing for her complete happiness is the happiness of her best friend.

Like all her friends, Diana could hardly believe it when she found out that her bosom friend, her kindred spirit, had broken up with the arrogant, inhumane Royal Gardner. She was happy that Anne came to her senses and broke up with Roy.

The summer break ends and the friends have to go back to college, which means that Gilbert has to go back to the U of T.

He has to go back to Toronto.

There is only one opportunity for the group of friends to open the eyes of Anne and Gilbert.

The Army - In The Name Of Love
aka Operation Shirbert