Chapter 8. Hidden Feelings

🖤
I act like I'm doing fine now
Keep it together somehow
But when the lights go down
Hidden feelings got me messed up
🖤

Charlie Sloane is a calm young man who doesn't get upset easily, but to see how his best friend vegetates with self-pity angers him. His anger is not directed at his best friend, but at a rich, arrogant resident of Avonlea.

At Royal Gardner, the Roy Gardner who thinks he can have it all. Now Charlie is on his way to Gilbert Blythe, to Gilbert Blythe, who suffers.

He's on the way to his best friend, who suffers from a broken heart and unrequited love.

As is common for a small town like Avonlea, news spreads quickly, especially when it comes to news that affects a young man from a wealthy home. Mrs. Lynde, who is usually happy about every gossip, couldn't believe it when she got the news.

She couldn't believe her ears when Diana Barry's mother Eliza sent the message. A message that makes another young man regret his past decisions...A message that would change everything...

🖤🖤🖤

Last Saturday, the Saturday after the bonfire, two people met for a second date.

After Gilbert had not further discussed the fateful slow dance in the rain, one thing was certain for Anne Shirley Cuthbert. Gilbert Blythe has no feelings for her. Perhaps a small microscopic part in her had hoped, that it might be different. Maybe a part in her heart had hoped, that someone like Gilbert Blythe might have feelings for someone like her.

With the supposed realization that he had no deeper feelings for her, Anne set off on her second date with Roy Gardner.

It was a classic date, a romantic candlelit dinner. The date wasn't exactly what Anne hoped for, it wasn't spontaneous or extraordinary, it didn't have any personal aspects, but it was a date.

A date with Roy Gardner, the one who always clearly signaled his interest in her. The date was nice, that was undeniable, and the fact that Anne always liked Roy helped her to get through it, it helped her to get over her confusing feelings for Gilbert Blythe. At least that was what she was thinking at that moment.

The dinner went harmoniously, Anne and Roy found many things in common. Just like Anne, Roy is well-read and he is very interested in literature She learned that his favorite book is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

When it comes to intellect, not many can keep up with Roy Gardner. Still, Anne asked herself if it was all she wanted from a man. After they got to know each other better at dinner, Roy accompanied Anne home.

At the gates of Green Gables and under a sky full of stars, he asked her the question he always wanted to ask.

Anne felt that he would ask her this question this evening, but she was still surprised when the five words left his mouth.

"Will you be my girlfriend?."

It wasn't a long explanation of why he wanted to be with her, nothing to show his feelings for her.

It was a simple sentence, a sentence with five words, a question, the answer of which made several hearts break at the same time.