Chapter 4

Amberpaw followed Longsplash slowly. Amberpaw still hadn't gotten over Weedkit and it showed.

Longsplash stopped and looked at Amberpaw. "What's wrong? I'm trying to show you around the territory." Longsplash hissed

Amberpaw narrowed her eyes. "You know what's wrong with me."

Longsplash lashed her tail. "Would you get over it already?" She hissed stepping towards Amberpaw.

Amberpaw unsheathed her claws. "Get over my litter-mate dying?"

"If you spend your whole life mourning over the death of Weedkit you'll be no use to Thunderclan. You might as well join the elders!"

Amberpaw flattened her ears. "It takes time to get over this. I can't just forget him."

Longsplash's eyes clouded with grief. "Weedkit wouldn't want you sobbing over him. He'd want you to work hard to become the best warrior you can. The more time you spend grieving the less time you have to train. I know from experience."

Amberpaw let her ears come back and sheathed her claws. "What do you mean?"

Longsplash sat down and Amberpaw came closer to her. "My sister died during a Riverclan battle. A Riverclan warrior took her under water and drowned her. Her name was LeafMoon."

Amberpaw licked Longsplash's ear. "I'm sorry Longsplash. I'll try to train harder and take my mind off Weedkit."

Longsplash got up and shook her head. "Come on, I need to show you the rest of the territory."

Amberpaw got up and followed her. Maybe Longsplash is right. I can't spend my whole life grieving over Weedkit's death. He wouldn't want that. He would want me to live and maybe even become leader!

"This is sunningrocks. We fight Riverclan for this piece of territory all the time. Those mouse brained cats don't even need this piece of territory, their just being greedy!" She snorted

Amberpaw nodded. She couldn't wait for her first battle.

                                        ***

"How was your first day of training?" Grasspaw asked, searching through the fresh kill pile.

Amberpaw grabbed a vole. "It was good. How about you?"

"Good. Oh a squirrel! Squirrels are my favorite!" Grasspaw purred grabbing the squirrel.

They walked over to a shaded spot and laid down.

"Hey Grasspaw and Amberpaw!" Amberpaw looked up and saw it was Frostpaw who was calling them.

Grasspaw's eyes lit up. "Hey Frostpaw! Come sit with us!"

Amberpaw slumped down. She was hoping to have alone time with Grasspaw.

Frostpaw grabbed a thrush then ran over to the new apprentices. "So... how was the first day?" He asked sitting down.

Amberpaw nodded. "Good." Grasspaw purred. Amberpaw narrowed her eyes at the two apprentices. They seemed close even though it was the only first day of training for Grasspaw.

Does Grasspaw have feelings for Frostpaw? Frostpaw was a handsome tom, Amberpaw had to admit but how could Grasspaw already be thinking about a mate?

"Amberpaw?" Amberpaw snapped back to reality.

"Huh?" Grasspaw rolled her eyes. "I asked if you know what your doing for training tomorrow."

Amberpaw perked her ears up. "Oh uhm.. I think battle moves."

Frostpaw perked his ears up. "Do you hear that?" He asked looking at the apprentices.

Amberpaw and Grasspaw looked at each other. "Here what? I hear birds but that's all." Amberpaw perked her ears up to try to hear what Frostpaw heard.

"Wait I hear it!" Amberpaw exclaimed. "It's sounds like cats!" All of a sudden two cats walked in to the camp, not looking worried at all.

All the apprentices stood up and unsheathed their claws.

"Calm down. It's just Riverclan medicine cats, Fallowpool and Hailsong." Amberpaw turned around to see Ashlight and Reedpaw. Reedpaw had a glitter of amusement in his eyes.

"You should know that Frostpaw. You've been an apprentice for three moons now." Reedpaw meowed.

Frostpaw gave his chest fur a couple of embarrassed licks. Amberpaw narrowed her eyes. "Why are they aloud in here?"

Ashlight turned around and looked at Amberpaw. "The medicine cat code extends farther than the warrior code. Come on Reedpaw, we need to see what they need."

Dewclaw made his way over to the apprentices. "Since you are done with your prey and just sitting around and talking you can go clean the elders den. If the other apprentices are around bring them with you and clean the elders."

Amberpaw groaned. Dewclaw looked at her, narrowing his one good eye. "If you want to complain you can help the medicine cats to."

Amberpaw shook her head. "No I'll help the elders." Dewclaw nodded and watched them leave.

"He's such a bossy furball!" Grasspaw hissed. "He acts like he's leader!" Amberpaw nodded her agreement but Frostpaw looked at them uncertain.

Grasspaw seemed to notice.

"Sorry Frostpaw I forgot he's your father." Frostpaw shrugged and entered the elders den.

Amberpaw narrowed her eyes. How did Grasspaw know he was Frostpaw's father? Amberpaw didn't know that and not a lot of other cats knew that either. Or at least Amberpaw didn't think they knew.