Chapter 18

Amberstream looked up at they grey sky and watched as a white flake floated down and landed on her nose and quickly melted. Leaf-bare.

Amberstream grabbed her mouse and thrush then headed back to camp. The prey is already starting to weaken. This mouse isn't as plump as they usually are. We'll have to send out more hunting patrols.

She walked through the gorse tunnel and headed towards the fresh kill pile. She set her prey down and spotted Sunpaw eating a vole.

Amberstream grabbed a thrush and headed towards her and sat down. Sunpaw looked up at Amberstream surprised. "You must not tell anyone about the dark forest training. It's a secret." Amberstream whispered.

Sunpaw had started training in the dark forest as well as Shredtooth. Sunpaw nodded and started eating her vole again. "If you do tell anyone I will have to punish you." Amberstream growled, unsheathing her claws.

Sunpaw looked up at her, wide-eyed. "I won't! I promise!" Sunpaw stammered. Amberstream nodded and got up, grabbing the thrush and heading towards Shredtooth.

"Shredtooth." Amberstream called. Shredtooth's cold gaze looked up at her. "What do you want?" He snarled. Amberstream sat down. "Don't tell anyone about the dark forest or I will punish you myself."

Shredtooth sat up, thrusting his face infront of hers. "I'm not a snitch." He walked past Amberstream, knocking into her with his shoulder. She looked down at his leftover mouse. He could've at least ate the rest instead of wasting prey.

"What's up with him?" Amberstream looked up to see Greenwillow. Amberstream shrugged. "He's always been in a mood." Greenwillow narrowed her eyes. "Is there something you aren't telling me?" Amberstream shook her head.

"I'm going to take some prey to Longsplash." Amberstream said awkwardly, stepping away. She turned around and walked towards the pile.

Not long after Longsplash became a warrior, Longsplash moved into the nursery with Dewclaw's kits. Poppyjaw had her kits a couple days after Longsplash moved in. Her kits were named Firekit, Tigerkit, and Bluekit.

Amberstream grabbed a shrew and a vole. The shrew for Longsplash and vole for Poppyjaw. She headed towards the nursery and made her way in.

"Hello Amberstream. Is there something you need?" Longsplash looked up, her belly already big. "I brought you and Poppyjaw prey." She said dropping the shrew infront of Longsplash and putting the vole infront of Poppyjaw.

"Thank you Amberstream." Poppyjaw purred, devouring the the vole. "Amberstream?" A tiny head popped up and soon two more. Bluekit was the first to jump towards Amberstream.

Amberstream purred as Firekit, Bluekit, and Tigerkit surrounded her. "Kits. Not now. Amberstream do you mind getting Creekfire?" As soon as Poppyjaw said it, Amberstream could see she regretted it.

Creekfire died chasing a squirrel. It went towards a Thunderpath and so did Creekfire. He didn't notice the monster zooming towards him and was hit.

"Amberstream why don't you go for right now." Longsplash said. Amberstream dipped her head. "Of course." She stepped out of the nursery and shivered as a snow flake landed on her.

"Cold?" Hawkleap asked teasingly. Amberstream nodded her head. She had noticed the look in Hawkleap's eyes. He was looking at her with love in his eyes. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Highrock for a clan meeting."

Amberstream sighed with relief and walked towards the gather cats. Greenwillow jumped towards Amberstream and sat down. "I wonder what this is about?" She asked.

Amberstream shrugged. "Probably about leaf-bare and extra hunting patrols." Amberstream narrowed her eyes at Cloverstar.

Soon her started speaking. "As you know leaf-bare is coming. Snow is starting to fall and the prey will go hiding. I'm ordering more hunting patrols. Blossomfrost, go ahead and start making patrols. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard leaf-bare"