Chapter 5

"I want Dewclaw, Maplespirit, Longsplash, Logtuft, Hollowleap, Quickfeather, Amberpaw, Grasspaw, Swiftpaw, Echopelt, Aspenberry, Leafpaw, Cedartooth, Tawnypaw, Grayfire, the elders, and Poppyjaw to go to the gathering tonight." Tinystar meowed.

"Amberpaw let's go train." Amberpaw turned around to Longsplash and dipped her head.

They walked out of camp in silence and jumped down into the sandy hollow.

"First thing you need to know is that you do not need to kill to prove that you've won your battle. In training you always have your claws sheathed."

Amberpaw nodded. I can't believe some cats kill in battle! How could a cat take another cats life, even if they weren't in the same clan?

"The easiest battle move is the front paw strike. Jump at your enemies face and bring down your claws onto their face, scratching it. Try it on me. But remember, claws sheathed."

Amberpaw jumped at Longsplash but she quickly jumped out of the way making Amberpaw fell to the ground. Longsplash jumped on Amberpaw's back.

"You need to be quicker." She got off Amberpaw and Amberpaw got up.

Amberpaw tried it again but once again was to slow.

But this time Amberpaw was ready she landed on her paws and turned around. This was her first day of battle practice so she didn't know what else to do.

Longsplash purred. "Good! Then you could take your paws down on me and pin me down."

*****

Amberpaw trudged into camp, her paws heavy with exhaustion. Longsplash has taught her a couple battle moves and made her do them all more than five times. "Thunderclan! It is time we are leaving for the gathering! If you were picked, stand near the entrance!" Tinystar yowled.

Amberpaw groaned. She had forgotten about the gathering and just wanted sleep. She padded over to the group of cats.

"And I actually caught the mouse!" Grasspaw boasted to Tawnypaw. Tawnypaw purred. "I remember my first catch."

Tawnypaw was going to be made a warrior any day. She was mentored by Amberpaw's father, Grayfire.

"Hey Amberpaw! How was battle training?" Tawnypaw asked.

"Tiring!" Amberpaw joked. Grasspaw purred. "Are you excited for our first gathering?" Amberpaw nodded.

"Thunderclan! Follow me!" Tinystar ordered. Longsplash stopped and waited for Amberpaw.

"Amberpaw! I want to do more battle training tomorrow. I'll teach you a couple more moves." Amberpaw rolled her eyes but Longsplash didn't see.

"Ok Longsplash. When will we start hunting?" Longsplash shrugged. "Maybe in a couple days."

Amberpaw nodded and Longsplash ran back up beside Maplespirit.

They crossed over to Windclan territory and Amberpaw felt weird being on another clan territory.

They finally made it to the fourtrees and Thunderclan split up.

"Follow me." Tawnypaw meowed. Grasspaw and Amberpaw walked side by side, pelts almost touching.

Amberpaw sat down beside Tawnypaw. They were with a group of apprentices from other clans.

A little later Swiftpaw and Leafpaw came over and sat down beside Amberpaw.

Leafpaw started taking to a Riverclan apprentice. Leafpaw turned to Grasspaw and Amberpaw.

"This is Marshpaw of Riverclan. He's the only Riverclan apprentice that I can stand." Leafpaw joked.