Chapter 23

Beautiful white flakes fell down from the sky. They landed in the Thunderclan camp covering the last part of the ground up.

Already two cats have gotten greencough. All around camp starved cats were eating their skinny food that could barely feed a kit.

Tension was rising between the four clans as they were all running out of prey and needed territory. Nobody knew who would give off the first battle cry.

~~~~~

Amberstream shivered as snowflakes dropped onto her. She watched as Greenwillow picked up a scrawny mouse. "There is nothing out there." Greenwillow sighed, coming towards Amberstream.

"I wonder when the battles will come." Amberstream breathed. Greenwillow shrugged. "Hopefully not soon." I don't get why she doesn't like battles.

Amberstream perked her ears as she heard coughing. Sandmist. Sandmist had come back to camp coughing after border patrol and then was said to have greencough.

"I hope Sandmist makes it through this leaf-bare. It has just begun and it's already a harsh leaf-bare." Greenwillow whimpered.

"She's strong. She'll make it through. But I'm not sure about Mistheart." Amberstream said looking at Greenwillow. "She's already so old and with greencough her body is to weak."

As she said that many coughs came. Those were Mistheart's coughs.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highrock for a clan meeting!" Cloverstar's yowl echoed across the camp.

"What now?" Amberstream groaned as Greenwillow snorted. They walked over to the gathering cats and sat down.

Amberstream noticed Hawkleap creeping towards her. Great. Cloverstar waited for the cats to be seated and finally started.

"As you can see this leaf-bare is hard and it's just begun. I have decided we will try and take back the Sunningrocks." Yowls of agreement were met with his order.

"Amberstream you will not be joining us." Cloverstar said looking at her. Amberstream stood up. "Why not?" She hissed.

Cloverstar didn't flinch. "Because last battle you killed not only one cat but two cats." Amberstream felt like jumping up to him and clawing his eyes out.

"I killed Hawkstar for a prophecy!" She answered. Cloverstar tipped his head. "Then what was Larkpaw for?"

Amberstream sat back down her pelt hot with embarrassment. "For revenge." She finally answered. Cloverstar swished his tail. "Exactly my point. There was no need for you to kill in revenge. Larkpaw killed Weedkit on accident."

Amberstream could feel Greenwillow tense beside her at the sound of Weedkit's name. "But Cloverstar, Amberstream is very strong! She would help us in this battle."

Amberstream snapped her head towards Hawkleap. "Stop talking!" She hissed, whispering. "Amberstream will not be coming with us. If I have to tell one more cat this, they won't be going either. Am I understood?" He growled.

The cats around her nodded their heads. "Thunderclan! Let's go!" Cloverstar jumped down with Blossomfrost right beside him. The rest of clan followed, leaving Amberstream behind.