Chapter 9

Half a moon had passed since Amberpaw learned Longsplash's secret. When the medicine cats came back from the moon pool Reedpaw had got his name, ReedPounce.

"Amberpaw!" Brindlekit and Sunkit came running at Amberpaw. They jumped at her and Amberpaw pretended to get knocked over. "Oh no! You got me!" She purred.

Sunkit has her tiny claws unsheathed but it didn't hurt Amberpaw to much. Amberpaw has tried not to think about the prophecy though not thinking about it was probably a bad idea Amberpaw didn't care.

"I can't wait to be a warrior! Killing all those flea brained cats that aren't in Thunderclan!" Sunkit hissed.

Amberpaw sat up and shook her fur. "You don't need to kill the cats to show you won a battle." Brindlekit and Sunkit looked at her confused.

"What's the point of battle if you aren't going to kill any cat?" Amberpaw looked up to see Fallowwing watching, narrowing her eyes. I haven't talk to Fallowwing much since I became an apprentice.

Amberpaw took a breath. "Killing is a bad thing. You just want to tell the warrior your facing, you won by giving them just a few scars and that's all."

Brindlekit nodded. "That sounds reasonable." Sunkit nodded her agreement.

"Amberpaw." Amberpaw turned around to see Eagleshade. "You could be hunting right now but you chose to talk to kits?" Amberpaw have her chest fur a couple embarrassed licks.

"Sorry Eagleshade." Eagleshade narrowed his eyes. "Sorry doesn't fill bellies. I want you to spend the rest of the afternoon hunting."

Amberpaw looked at him. "You can't tell me to do that. Your not my mentor." Eagleshade seem surprised that the apprentice would talk back to him.

Sandmist and Grayfire walked towards them. "What's going on?" Grayfire asked. Eagleshade looked at her parents.

"Amberpaw was playing with kits when she could be hunting for her clan and I told her she will spend the rest of the afternoon hunting. She talked back to me and said I can't tell her to do that since I'm not her mentor." Eagleshade looked at Grayfire and back to Amberpaw then back to Grayfire.

Grayfire looked at Amberpaw. "You will spend the rest of the afternoon hunting. We'll tell Longsplash where you are and why. Don't talk back to senior warriors Amberpaw."

Amberpaw felt embarrassed. Most of the clan was staring at her now and some were whispering. Why was I so mouse brained? I should know not to talk back to senior warriors!

Amberpaw dipped her head. "Sorry Eagleshade. I'll go hunt now."

Amberpaw ran out of camp. She could feel the eyes of her clan mates following her. She burst into the trees almost tripping herself. She slowed down and perked her ears up to hear prey.

She heard a bird and sniffed the sky. She finally found the bird and climbed up the tree. She climbed onto a branch and looked around for the bird. She finally spotted it and saw it was a thrush.

She carefully put her paws down and kept low. She stopped when the tree started to creek. I'm only a few fox lengths away from it!

The bird took notice that something was stalking and started to fly. Quickly, Amberpaw jumped at it. Relief flooded through her when she felt the bird between her paws. She killed it quickly with a nip to the neck.

She dropped out of the tree and landed on her paws. She buried her bird and went out for more prey.

                                          ******