Chapter 14

Amberpaw felt the tree creak under her weight. Stop creaking! Amberpaw watched as the thrush flapped its wings and started flying away. Quickly Amberpaw jumped up at the bird grabbing it by its wing. The bird started panicking and clawing Amberpaw's nose with its claws.

Amberpaw brough the bird onto the branch with her paw, breaking its neck. I've never seen a bird do that! Amberpaw looked around to see what it was trying to get away for. Amberpaw sighed when she saw there was a nest.

Amberpaw crept over to it and looked into it to see three hungry birds. Amberpaw jumped back over to her bird. She grabbed it and scrambled down the tree.

Longsplash stopped cleaning herself and looked up. "Took you long enough! It shouldn't have been that hard to catch a bird." Amberpaw started burying her prey. I won't tell her about the baby birds.

"Let's go hunt more." Amberpaw quickly said, trotting away.

******

Amberpaw dragged her prey into camp. She had caught a thrush, three mice, and a vole. I can't wait until I'm a warrior! I'll be the best one! Amberpaw dropped her prey and grabbed the vole. She quickly made her way to Greenpaw and Frostblaze.

"Hey Amberpaw! You brought a lot of prey back!" Greenpaw purred. Amberpaw dipped her head and sat down.

Amberpaw noticed Frostblaze and Greenpaw's pelt were touching. "So are you guys already mates?" She teased. Greenpaw licked her fur in embarrassment and Frostblaze scooted away.

"Sorry I didn't mean to make you guys embarrassed." Greenpaw nodded. "I have to go train now. Bye guys." She got up and padded over to her mentor.

"I really do like Greenpaw." Frostblaze said quietly. Amberpaw nodded and to her surprise she felt a pang of jealousy. I'll never have a mate. No cat likes me.

"I'm going to go get some sleep. The sun is setting." Amberpaw got up and didn't wait for Frostblaze's answer. At least I'll get to train tonight. I wonder when I'll become a warrior. It can't be long.