Chapter 20

Amberstream heard gasp all around her. Stay calm! Stay calm! Amberstream knew Poppyjaw didn't mean what she said. She was just upset.

"You're right Poppyjaw. If I would have been watching my kits Weedkit wouldn't have died. But that doesn't mean you should be angry at Amberstream." Sandmist said with no hint of anger to her voice.

Poppyjaw sighed. "I'm sorry Amberstream. I'm just upset. Cloverstar can we send a patrol out to find my kits?" She asked. Cloverstar nodded and looked at Maplespirit.

"Maplespirit choose some cats to go with you." Maplespirit nodded and looked around choosing Dustblaze, Ivydapple, Tawnyclaw, Aspenberry, Swiftstrike, and Fallowwing.

Amberstream watched them sprint out of camp. Maplespirit was the first to be gone. She was the oldest Warrior in the clan now and wasn't thinking of retiring to the elders den anytime soon.

Grayfire walked up to Sandmist, wrapping his tail around her. Amberstream thought back to what Wolfstrike said.

"Grayfire had another mate before Sandmist. Her name was Spottedwish. I had killed Spottedwish."

Suddenly Amberstream was thankful he killed Spottedwish. If he hadn't killed her than Amberstream wouldn't be alive.

"What are you think about?" AmberStream looked around to see a Greenwillow. "Oh uhm. About the kits!" She chose her words carefully.

"It's not your fault. Sandmist was right. Poppyjaw should have made you watch the kits when you already had enough on your paws." Greenwillow nodded.

Amberstream purred. I haven't got to talk to Greenwillow lately. She's been to busy with Frostblaze. "Did you hear about Ashlight?" Greenwillow asked.

"No? What happened?" She asked. Greenwillow looked at the medicine den. "Reedpounce thinks she only has a couple days left." She sighed.

Amberstream gasped and ran towards the medicine den. "Ashlight?" She asked worriedly. A raspy voice spoke up. "I'm here! Is that you Amberstream?"

Amberstream narrowed her eyes and saw the scrawny outline of a cat. "Yes it is me. I heard about what Reedpounce said."

Ashlight chuckled. "If it's my time to go then it's my time to go. No need to make a fuss about it." Amberstream looked at her confused. "But there is a need to make a fuss about it. Your one of the best medicine cats and if you die you won't be able to help me anymore. What if I get another prophecy?"

Ashlight shrugged. "Just because I'm not here doesn't mean I'm not here. I'll be right beside you all the way even if you can't see me. Your an amazing cat Amberstream and could have a great future if you don't mess it up. Be happy for everyone around you Amberstream-"

"Ashlight! It sounds like your saying goodbye." Amberstream meowed worriedly. Ashlight coughed. "It's because I am saying goodbye. Tell Reedpounce he was an amazing apprentice."

"Stop!" Amberstream dashed out of the medicine den. "Help! Ashlight is dying!" She screeched.

Cloverstar ran out of his den and pushed Amberstream out of the way. Reedpounce got up from his vole and ran into the medicine den, his black tail soon disappearing.