𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲

Author's POV

Washijo heard what Tendou said and immediately called over Wayuri and Wakatoshi.

"M-Motoyami-san, if you aren't related to Ushijima-san, why are you always with him?" he asked her with a confused face.

Wayuri knew that Washijo was a coach, so she chose to trust him with her secret.

"I'm an orphan Washijo-sensei," she said while biting her lip, hoping his reaction wasn't bad.

"Ah, that explains something at least," Washijo's expression immediately changed into a feeling of satisfaction. He was happy he figured out why Wayuri's last name was so familiar.

"What do you mean Washijo-sensei?" Wakatoshi intervened with a questioning face.

"Motoyami is the last name of a player that played for Shiratorizawa's boy's volleyball team when I first started coaching," he replied.

"What position was he?" Ushijima asked, now fully interested in the conversation.

"He was a setter, but he was better than anyone I've ever seen. He had natural talent, and could even be considered a genius. He was always an optimistic one, trying to find the bright side even when the team lost." Washijo replied with a smile on his face while recalling all the memories of his past. Washijo faced Wayuri. "He reminds me of you, actually Motoyami-san. Last I knew, he was playing for Japan as their setter. May I ask what happened?"

She looked happy about the information she recieved, but tears were about to burst from her eyes. "I'm sorry Washijo-sensei, but that's something I would prefer not to share."

"Oh, that's okay. But what about Watanabe-san? From what I remember, they were highschool sweethearts, is that correct?" he asked her.

"Yes, they were." She replied with a straight face while trying her best to hold in her tears. She then gave Wakatoshi a quick glance, trying to tell him that she wanted to leave. Fortunately, he got the message and intervened their conversation again.

"Washijo-sensei, I feel that kaa-san would get angry at me and Yuri-chan if we left late. So if you could please excuse us," he said while giving a slight bow to Washijo.

"Yes, of course," Washijo replied. He later dismissed the rest of the team for the day.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The duo was now in their respective seats in Wakatoshi's room, both enjoying the silence.

"Toshi, do you have a phone?" she asked.

"No," he replied without looking up from his magazine.

"Why?" Wayuri asked. She unexpectedly started breaking down her walls with Wakatoshi, despite going against everything that kept her alive.

"Kaa-san said that it messes with the brain, so I've never found it necessary," he replied.

"Oh, okay." Wayuri responded with a straight face, but then she remembered what Riku told her. She began explaining to Wakatoshi all its features, with her face glowing from the excitement. Surprisingly, Wakatoshi seemed interested in owning a phone as well.

Aiyoko was eavesdropping in on their conversation, trying to find out their relationship status, just like any other mom would. She decided that they both deserved a gift and informed Wayuri and Wakatoshi that she would be out for a few hours. The two just nodded as she left the house, a bit excited that she was going to go shopping.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When Aiyoko came back, she was holding a white paper bag.