Chapter 9

~~~Jaxson's POV~~~

We stayed in the clearing holding each other for a few more minutes before I slowly led Ember back down the mountain. I would catch her every time she stumbled. She seemed in a daze like she was walking through a dream and nothing was happening. She didn't seem to be processing anything. We didn't talk. I just led her back to the cabin.

I sat her on the edge of the bed and crouched in front of her. Her eyes stayed unfocused. Just staring blankly ahead. I untied her shoelaces and slid her boots of her feet. I looked at her one more time before grabbing the hem of her sweatshirt and raising it over her head, taking it off. I unbuckled her belt and thigh strap and folded the covers in the bed back as I helped her climb into bed. Through the entire process she remained silent and didn't fight me on anything. I tucked her in making sure she was comfortable before I walked to the other side of the bed. I debated with myself, but I knew Ember needed someone right now. I slid in the bed next to her. I slowly and carefully wrapped her into my arms so that she was on her side and her face was buried in my chest. She let out a shuddering sigh. I felt her arm tentatively wrap around my torso before gripping me harder as she tried to get closer. I tightened my hold on her a bit to make her feel secure and comforted.

I listened as her breath evened out and she fell into a deep sleep. She needed it. I knew she hadn't been sleeping. I watched her last night, struggling to stay awake. My guess is those nightmares are a common occurrence.

I can't imagine what she has gone through. The scars on her tell a gruesome story. Some short and shallow while others and long and deep. She even has a scar running down the middle of her right eye from her eyebrow to her lower lid. I wonder if she can see out of that eye. It's so pale in color like a person with cataracts would be. It doesn't seem to bother her as I think back to her target practice earlier. She had impeccable aim. I wonder where she got her training. It couldn't all be self-taught. She looked professional and if I put her up against some of my best warriors, she would definitely give them a run for their money.

'Mate is strong.'

'You are such a love-struck teenager.' I mentally rolled my eyes at Ares.

'So are you.' He snorts. 'When are we going to tell her? What happens if she rejects us?' Ares whimpers at the thought.

'I don't know. I want to know her past and why she is so traumatized before we shock her with the fact that the supernatural exist and we are one. I honestly don't know what would happen if she decided to reject us. We will do everything we can to avoid that but in the end, it's her decision.' Ares whimpers some more before asking an important question.

'What do we do if she never tells us her past?'

'We need to knock her walls down before she tells us. She built them high. I doubt she has had anyone she could trust in a long time. She's been on her own for at least 5 years. We need to be there for her and get her to place her trust in us and then she will tell us.' Ares seemed satisfied with the answer.

I look down to the angel in my arms. She was so beautiful, and she is all mine. What have I done to be so blessed to have such an amazing mate? I will do all in my power to heal her from her past. With that thought I tightened my grip on her placing a kiss on her forehead while I drifted off to sleep.