Chapter 12

~~~Jaxon's POV~~~

Shit.

The whole situation flashed through my mind again. This is not how I wanted her to find out! I couldn't get there fast enough in human form; I had no choice.

Shit. Shit. SHIT!

Ember has been eerily quiet and calm about this whole thing. I'm not sure what's going on in that head of hers. I wish I knew. She told me not to shift back until we got to the cabin.

How does she know what shifting is?

Ares has been whimpering in the back of my mind since we changed, afraid she would run. Afraid she would reject us. She just watched us, unblinking until she spoke. Her face a blank slate but her eyes...her eyes held the truth. They flickered briefly with unbridled sadness and something I couldn't quite interpret. She seemed...absolute. Like she had resigned herself to something. Her mask came up quickly, her eyes hardening, staring ahead as she walked. She didn't seem afraid or even surprised. It's like she knew this would happen and was waiting.

The forest was quiet. Somber. We trudged slowly back to the cabin. A snail's pace to what we would normally walk. Like we both didn't want to reach our destination because then there was nothing left to do. We would have to unveil ourselves to one another.

I was hoping to get closer to her. To have time to gain her trust in us so that way when I did tell her, she would realize we would never hurt her.

But time is one thing you are never guaranteed.

My thoughts ran rampant, and my anxiety increased as we drew closer to the cabin.

I kept sneaking glances at Ember. She baffles me. You would think a human would high tail it the first chance they got when they see someone transform into a giant wolf. Obviously, I'm glad she didn't but it's still odd. Then again, she's not a typical human. She secluded herself, lives with a wolf, and is an astounding fighter.

She has secrets, that is clear but I'm hoping she won't judge me to harshly for mine since she has her own that she isn't divulging.

I want her to be able to open up to me, but I know she doesn't trust easily. Judging by her scars and nightmares, she's had a rough past.

I was finally able to reach Sean when I got my stuff. He had been extremely worried and had dispatched a team of warriors to head my way. He informed them I was fine and sent them to finish my job so that I could stay with Ember.

When I told him my suspicions of a traitor and he was irate, insisting he would be careful not to divulge any information until the minute it happens. That way they wouldn't get a head start on anything.

He was also incredibly happy I finally found my mate and obviously surprised she was human. No wonder it had taken me so long to find her. He said he couldn't wait to meet her. After I told him about her fighting style, he became intrigued and really wants to test her against our warriors. Maybe she could help train the pack. He granted me time away from the pack to get her comfortable around me before I showed her my werewolf side.

Well that obviously didn't go as planned. I mentally scoffed.

I sighed internally as the cabin came into view. Ember's steps faltered as she noticed it too. I listened as her heart rate increased. She was nervous, maybe fearful?

When we reach the front door, she turned to me, her blue and brown eyes flickering with despair.

"You can go shift and put clothes on. Let me know when you're done."

I nodded my head as she opened the cabin door for me. Accalia suddenly darts out towards me with a low growl unsure why a strange wolf was walking into the cabin. She pauses to sniff and seems to relax as she catches my scent. Ember called her to her side as I walked in and kicked the door shut with my hind leg.

I shifted back, pulling on shorts and a tee from my duffle bag while internally struggling to find words to start this conversation.

I took a deep breath and pulled open the front door. Ember glanced up at me only to quickly look away. Her heart was racing, and her hands were trembling.

I cautiously made my way towards her and was relieved when she didn't step back. I brushed my fingers along her jaw, my heart fluttered with hope as she leaned into my touch slightly, and I tilted her chin up so her eyes would meet mine. A tear slid from her milky blue eye as she raised her head. My heart shattered. I still couldn't form words. My mind was blank and the only thoughts I had was that I hurt her and was pleading to anyone who could hear me that she wouldn't reject me.

I wrapped my arms around her small body in a firm hug. She shuddered out a sigh, clenching my shirt in her fist as she laid her head on my chest.

"I'm so sorry, Em. I didn't want you to find out about me like this. Please believe me when I say I would never hurt you." My breathing quickened as panic and dread set in. "I can't lose you. Please just let me explain." I held in a sob as I fought out my words. I was never one to cry. I had never had a reason. But losing Ember...I'm not sure I could come back from that.

Only time would tell what will happen, and it had just run out.