Chapter 49

A small smile graced her lips as she watched Alex and Accalia run off into the woods. They had become best friends in the few days that Alex had been here. Alex would shift and they would run and hunt together. He was blossoming in Sean's pack and couldn't be happier to have a family again. He was hesitant at first, not knowing how he would fit in and has somewhat secluded himself. He doesn't hang around the other teens in the pack but prefers to stay near Ember or Jaxson.

Alex felt very awkward at times, intruding on their personal space. But both Ember and Jaxson refused to have it any other way. They set him up in their second bedroom and made sure to include him in everything. They had family dinners full of laughter and family movie night. Jaxson would never say it out loud, but he almost felt like a father now. Alex also viewed him more as a father figure as well and Ember was always motherly towards him.

He struggles sometimes, knowing he will never see his mother or father again. He can see the sadness and guilt in Ember's eyes when she catches him on an off day. She refuses to listen when he tells her it was not her fault.

He remembered the takeover. He watched his sister fight valiantly, better than even their own pack warriors. She had single handily killed 25 of the 50 rogues present. Her wolf completely red as she bathed in the blood of the enemy. They had started targeting her, whether it was on an order or because she was killing them faster than they imagined. He had been rooted to the spot in sheer terror even though Ember had told him to go hide.

He was afraid he would never see them again. So, he watched. He watched Ember stand over their slain father, fighting off rogue after rogue as she tried to keep him alive. He watched his mother crawl slowly through the mud to reach her dying mate. He watched them whisper I love you to each other while they took their last breath wrapped in each other's arms. He watched as his sister, momentarily distracted in her grief, get shot. And finally, he watched her collapse in a heap next to their parents. Tears dripping down his face the entire time, but he couldn't bring himself to move. He had thought she was dead. His whole world had shattered in front of his eyes.

Ember has her own guilt, but so does he. He stood by and watched. He didn't try to jump in and protect his parents or sibling. He just stood there frozen.

He knows that he was young with not much training. But part of him sees how strong his family is and wonders why he couldn't have tried. If Ember knew this no doubt, she would berate him, though she will never take her own advice.

Once Dimitri took over, he lost his friends. They either were killed or refused to speak to the relative of that monster. It was a lonely five years and Alex often thought of running away. He never could work up the courage to go rogue.

He didn't know how to interact with others his age, so he kept away from them. Part of him longed for companionship from a friend but then his insecurities would bring about his anxiety of social interaction. He didn't want to be bullied again.

Alex has struck up a friendship with Hope as well. She calls him Ally and he doesn't mind one bit. She is such an adorable little girl and is doing great under the care of her new dads (who call him often to babysit) but only when both Ashton and Sean have business. Alex always wanted a younger sibling, so he loves to dote on Hope.

Ember continues to watch the two wolves running through the woods, thick as thieves. They loved getting into trouble together. Accalia has taken to being a sister remarkably well. She sleeps in Alex's room right next to him. Ember would often come in to check on them and find Alex's arms wrapped around Accalia, snuggling into her side. She smiled softly at the picture of them this morning.

Strong arms wrap themselves around her waist, pulling her into a muscular chest. She breathes deeply closing her eyes, taking in the fresh scent of her mate, relaxing her as she leans her head back on his shoulder. He places small kisses along her neck and shoulder, paying extra attention to her mark. She shivers in his arms as he smirks against her skin.

He loves how responsive she is to him. It never ceases to amaze him; how different life can be with your mate. Every day with her makes him feel like a love-struck teenager all over again. He feels complete.

He gazes down at her adoringly as she snuggles into his arms. If they could stay like this forever, he would.

"Do you think he is happy?" His beautiful mate whispers. Her voice small almost afraid of the answer. He kisses the top of her head before he murmurs back.

"I know he's happy. He just needs to find friends his own age."

"I tried talking to him about it but he wouldn't answer. He kept saying he was fine with us, Hope, and Accalia. But I see him sometimes, staring at the other teens when they play a game of ball. I can see the longing in his eyes."

Jaxson sighs, knowing that Alex has a difficult time making friends. The five years alone didn't help him any. Alex had confided in him that he had been bullied because he was related to Dimitri. Then the bullying stopped, and he was alienated from the other kids. Dimitri had segregated him into a room, not allowing him to leave except to take a short walk to keep his muscles from seizing up. He wasn't treated as Ember was thankfully, but he had been beaten a few times. Alex swore him to secrecy. He knew Alex would overcome his issues. Kids tend to acclimate well. Ember turned in his arms, wrapping her arms around his torso as she snuggled into him further, inhaling his scent. He couldn't help but think how cute she is.

Jaxson's heart has been so full since both Hope, and Alex have arrived. He can envision what it would be like to have his own little rugrats running about the place. He has seen the nurturing nature of Ember especially around Hope. He wants to see that all the time. What he wouldn't give to make her round with his own pup, but he knew that can never happen.

A/N

Really boring filler chapter. I'm hoping to have a long, event filled chapter this weekend, but I don't have much time this week to write it. So, you might get another fluff filled chapter instead:)