Someone's footsteps

My dad and Jungkook talked for a long time in the kitchen, and then they went for the police station without explaining.

There are too many secrets in my life now. I was very worried about my father. I understand that he's the chief of police and that's his job, but I don't want him to get in trouble. Although dad says it's all right, I don't believe him. If the FBI is involved it's a very serious and dangerous case.

It's all Jungkook's fault. My whole life changed with his arrival.

I walked up and down my room hastily and perturbed, while my imagination conjured up a thousand images to torment and sting me.

How many people did he kill in his life? He spoke so calmly of men whose lives he took last night.

The strange thing was that I still wasn't afraid of this guy. I felt, he was a danger to everyone but me.

I was mad that he made me feel special. I've always despised criminals, but I didn't dislike Jungkook; quite the contrary.

How did he ever become a hit man at 17? How's that possible? Who hired him? There were so many unanswered questions.

I took my phone out of my back pocket and sat down at my desk.

It's been hours since they left. The sun was already setting.

I was about to call my dad, but I got a whatsapp message from my best friend Emma.

" Hi there. I'm going for a walk with Vader. Will you join us? " She asked.

Vader is her pug. The dog was named after the main villian of "Star Wars".

Emma lived two doors down. We often walked with her dog.

I considered my answer for a few seconds. I felt very nervous and I needed to unwind. I'll call my dad when I get home.

" Yep. " I replied to her message.

" I'll be with you in 5 minutes. Please get dressed right now, Melody. I don't want to wait for you."

I was already dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but it was cold outside. February was drawing to a close. I opened the closet in my bedroom and pulled out a red hoodie. I heard the front door slam, while I was dressing. I was very surprised. Emma never went into my house without ringing the doorbell. This rule was introduced by my father. He hated uninvited guests. Footsteps sounded on the down floor.

Could it be my dad and Jungkook back?

I looked out the window. Dad's car was nowhere in sight. Someone kept walking around my house.

I went out into the second-floor hall and leaned over the railing and shouted loudly, " Emma, is that you?"

There was no response. The footsteps stopped and there was silence. My skin crawled with horror. I stood still for a few seconds. I didn't breathe, just listened. My heart was pounding like a jackhammer.

" Anybody here?" I asked again, but no one answered. I exhaled and stepped back from the railing.

Maybe I just imagined it. Footsteps started again as soon as I thought about it.

I started to get angry and I ran downstairs. The front door slammed again. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs. My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking.  All was quiet. Time passed slowly. After a minute or two I pulled myself together. I stepped forward and suddenly the doorbell rang.

The familiar sound was like a whip. My heart almost stopped. I stood and stared at the door, clenching my fists.The doorbell rang again. I heard a dog barking outside. It was Vader. I'd recognize his barking and grunting anywhere.

I opened the door. Emma was standing in the doorway, wearing a warm jacket. On her head was a blue hat with a pom pom. The black pug was dressed in a colorful jumpsuit with dinosaurs on it.

" Why aren't you dressed yet?" My friend said indignantly. " We agreed, Melody. "

At first I thought that she was playing a joke on me, but Emma is a bad liar. She always blushes and stuttered when she's lying. She couldn't have pulled this off.

If it wasn't Emma... who was it?

I leaned my back against the wall in the hallway and exhaled.

"What's wrong?" She asked. " You are so pale. You look as if you've seen a ghost."

I looked her up and down. I couldn't tell her the truth. She must know nothing. It's for her own protection.

" I'm fine. I just forgot you were coming." I said and looked away.

My heart rate was gradually returning to normal.

Besides, I couldn't tell for sure was someone in my house or not. Maybe I was just nervous about my father and my imagination was running wild.

" You're a little weird, you know? Are you sick? " The girl frowned and put her hand to my forehead.

" I told you that I'm fine." I assured my friend and gently removed her hand. " I'll put on my jacket and boots and we'll go for a walk, okay? "

Before she could answer my father's car pulled up to my house. For a moment I thought my dad had come back alone and I felt disappointed. My heart squeezed into a tight little ball. 

Then Jungkook got out of the car and I breathed a sigh of relief. 

It was a very strange feeling.

Do I want him to stay or go? I barely understand myself.