o. | untied shoes

Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth

Elena saw the sign as the car drove through the highway into the town, the Herrera's had a new life in Outer Banks when the father of the family started getting worse in injuries after serving in the army and the person they knew that could help him lived in there, they had no idea where exactly they were staying but from the address, the doctor had sent Elena's father, it could be a hotel or maybe a house for the time they had to spend there.

She saw how the houses in Outer Banks were beautiful, big houses with green patios and thousands of trees, she had loved seeing these houses, she always imagined them having a story coming from the '30s or '40s, the aroma that entered through the car as their windows were rolled down. The ocean and trees brought such joy to the female.

"Wow, I hope our house looks like these." Melissa, the youngest of the Herrera's spoke out as she looked outside her window.

Her mother driving and looking at the streets briefly before focusing again on the road just smiled at the comment of her daughter. On the other seat, their father looked at his two daughters and smiled.

"Well we hope we get a nice place to sleep, that is all we need right now. Also, we still have half an hour to go." Groans left from both girls in the back seat of the old Chevrolet pick up.

As time passed and their destination started getting closer, the houses became smaller and the town seemed for lone than the one before, the streets weren't as colorful and joyful. It seemed like it had lost its spirit.

The GPS Ernesto has on his hand indicated to take another left and then a right just to reach their destination. They passed behind an abandoned gas station and it seemed the street disappeared with it too, the road was dust, mud, and rocks, Elena saw how the one-story house she would call home came into the picture.

A sky blue color was painted in the walls and the hipped roof seemed too old and ready to collapse. Elena noticed how not far from her new home there's was another one, just like hers but painted in white and just a little bit bigger. There was no car outside but she noticed a bike laying on the floor. Kids probably lived there but for the moment there were no neighbors to greet the new family.

The car parked in the entrance and the family started to come out of the vehicle, it had been a very long drive for them it took them taking almost three days to arrive since they took a day to rest during their road trip. All they wanted for the day was to get things ready and sleep.

"Dad, do you have a key? Or something to open the house" Elena shouted out with her suitcase on her hand and a backpack on her back making her way towards the front door and dropping her things right as she reached the entrance.

"Doc said to look for the key under the mat." Her father screamed as he slowly walked towards her daughter with a bag on his hand and sitting down on a chair that stood by the entrance leaning his head back as the pain in his leg started coming back to him.