Common question

Face it.

You've probably been in a phase where every friend of yours seems to be in a relationship, and you don't. Or at least, you haven't been in a relationship at all when most of them have.

Well, I'm actually that one friend of yours who hasn't been in a relationship. Not that I haven't flirted with anyone for 18 years straight. But every possible relationship somehow vanished at some point. 

Weird, I know.

 It's not like I have the charisma of a potato to not sweep them off their feet or something. Or that I'm still haunted by my past which is filled with some boys who couldn't even say a proper goodbye to end our almost relationships. Not at all.

But alas, I've realized that it's probably not my time to get with someone. It can be lonely sometimes, but I can survive. I don't need someone to constantly ask about how my day went when I have my friends and family.. right?

When I decided that I don't want to be in a relationship, I then proceeded to have a new goal: to be an independent young lady who can earn money for herself. If my love life isn't going anywhere (yet), then at least I want to have my purse thick with money.

Ha! Easier said than done really.

I've spent some time browsing through the internet to find a job for a student like myself, and man, I haven't found any. There are plenty of job vacancies splattered across plenty of websites, but so far, according to the qualifications of the jobs I want, I'm underqualified.

Believe me, I've searched for days through many, many websites. After burying myself in my blanket out of frustration, I finally merge out from my bedroom. Probably some cold milk or a snack can ease me out.

"Finally deciding to make an appearance, I see." 

My dear mother who's currently cutting up some mangoes greets me from behind the kitchen counter. My older sister, Rachel, and my younger brother, Miles threw a brief glance my way.

"Hi, Mom."

"You haven't come down since lunch."

"I got caught up with something." I stole a slice, popping it swiftly into my mouth.

"What's wrong?"

"I've been searching for a job online, can't find anything suiting for me, though."

"Job-hunting is hard, sweetie. But if you keep on looking I'm sure you'll find something."

I continue to feed myself some mango slices, before an idea finally sneaks into my head. "Mom, will you ask around for me? Maybe Aunt Tia needs help with her bakery or something."

"Alright. I'll see what I can do."

"Thanks, Mom." I blow a kiss her way before plopping myself beside Rachel. Her eyes are stuck on the TV screen, while Miles is busy with his game.

"Are you seriously going to work at the bakery?"

"Why?"

She gives me a look, "Why not pet-sitting?"

"I want to be a shopkeeper or something."

"You seriously want to be surrounded with cupcakes all-day instead of being accompanied by dogs?"

"Both things are alright. I just want to work in a shop instead of someone else's house."

"Oh, well." she shrugs, and it's silent for a few minutes as we're both paying attention to the show.

Her phone alerts her of an incoming text, and Rachel is soon busy with her phone. The next thing I know, a grin is sprawled across her lips.

"Is that Peter?"

Peter is her boyfriend since last year. I'm not usually around when he visits her (honey, I'd have died out of awkwardness) but he seems like a pretty okay guy to me.

"No. I broke up with him."

I look at her in disbelief. Only Rachel can break up with someone before telling any of her family members. Or maybe I've been in my room for too long. But she can bring it up if she wants too... right?

"Why?"

"He's too clingy. I don't like clingy boys." the same grin that erupted earlier because of the text makes its comeback, "Ryan's not clingy."

Guess she's still in the honeymoon phase, huh?

"Well, you're moving on quickly."

"I can't miss out on Ryan just because I can't move on from someone like Peter!" she exclaimed. "He's everything I've ever wanted in a guy."

"Good for you." I nod along. 

Good to know she's happy, at least.

As for me, the only thing that's keeping my Christmas holiday exciting is the hope that maybe Mom can help me find a job. Excuse me while I get back to my room before Rachel starts blabbing about how great her Ryan is.

◐◐

I've missed writing, and you! I'm so excited to share this with you all, and I'm hoping this little piece of mine can accompany you during these times. Stay safe everyone, and I hope you enjoy reading the story!

(Credit goes to Live Gloriously on Pinterest for the background )