It Would've Been You

At first, we didn't see each other.

When the waiter shows us our table, I'm too excited to see what's on the menu to look around. Jo is sitting on my opposite and the two of us are starving.

Jo finishes reading the menu paper first and he calls the waiter after I'm done too.

When he tells him our orders, I get the chance to look around only to see the supposedly new couple sitting at the far end of the restaurant. Meanwhile, Jo and I are sitting near the door.

They didn't notice us, though I'm starting to panic a little. It's probably obvious despite my efforts to cover it up since Jo asks what's wrong right away.

"You remember my friend Rosa?"

"Yeah, why do you bring her up again? I thought-"

"She's here." I cover my face with the menu desperately. He doesn't understand what's the matter with it at all. He doesn't have to tell me that because he looks their way, before looking at me in confusion once more.

"So what?"

They'd think we're on a date, silly which we aren't yet I haven't told my best friend our situation here.

She'll be so disappointed if she knows.

But how the heck am I supposed to tell him that without making him get the wrong idea?

I fidget at the idea of being blunt about it. Darting my eyes to their table, I can see that they're halfway through their meals. Great, if only there's a way she won't notice us-

The waiter snaps my thoughts by putting my order in front of me and Jo's in front of his.

Jo nonchalantly thanks the guy before digging into his spaghetti bolognese while I eat my lasagna, trying to calculate the whole thing.

Of course, boys won't understand things like these. I mean, girl code is only for girl best friends.

"Is that good?"

"Huh?"

"Your lasagna. Is it good?"

"Uh, yeah. You can have some if you'd like."

Now if only Rosa stays a bit longer behind for a chat- oh my goodness are they holding hands?!

Jo takes a half spoon of the lasagna and as the content disappears from the spoon, he graciously compliments the diner. Only then he notices my discomfort and somehow he finishes up his plate quicker than I thought he would, while I'm following behind.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah," I exhale, attempting to hide how relieved I am to leave this place, "I'm done."

He gets up and pays the bill, then we walk out of the place. Taking one last glance to the couple, I hastily leave the diner to join Jo who's already getting his bike.

"You didn't like the lasagna?"

"No, I like it," I shyly shake my head like a little kid. This situation is so awkward yet I can't seem to untangle myself, "It's great. Here." I offer him the money for my meal and he declines.

The guy eyes me for a second longer than he usually would and after that, he grows an amused smile, "Let's go."