You're telling me...

My phone buzzes.

Rachel is currently sleeping, so I swiftly answer the call with a whisper. Scurrying through the quiet hospital room, I slide the screen to the green circle to answer.

"Hello?"

Silence follows for the next few beats before Jo's voice greets me, "Hey. Uh, I'm outside."

"Outside?"

I almost bump into Mom while opening the door and she looks at me in confusion.

"I'll be right back." I promise her before continuing my journey to find Jo. What does he mean he's outside? He isn't in the hospital, is he?

"I'm in the garden."

"The garden?" The garden is huge, so his answer doesn't really help a lot. I pick up my pace, trying to keep an eye out.

"Do I need to go somewhere else?" Then he mumbles, "This is quite a big garden.."

"Um, do you know where the vending machine is?"

"I think so.."

I can hear his footsteps. Wait, am I supposed to be able to hear them?

I take a right turn before Jo catches me by surprise. He takes a step back just in time before we collide. 

"There you are!" I chuckle before I realize he doesn't come empty-handed. A plastic bag is in his left hold, while the other holds his phone. He probably realizes my stare since he then addresses the bag.

"Thought I can bring your sister something," he hands it over to me with a hint of embarrassment, "I hope it's alright."

"You shouldn't have," I hold out a smile, hoping it's enough to ease the awkwardness that's starting to corrupt the air, "Sorry I can't deliver the book."

"You don't need to apologize. Family comes first after all."

His words suddenly remind me of the lingering question I've had since I first met him. Maybe it's alright to fish for some answers... or not?

I agree, then after I realize how uncomfortable it is to chat under the glaring afternoon sun, I bring him to the cafeteria. All the while, we talk about the book I should've delivered this afternoon to him.

"I've picked it up before coming here."

"I thought you have somewhere to be on weekends?"

He shrugs while he absent-mindedly twirls the straw in his coffee, "I can spare a few hours or two. If it's not something urgent, I'd rather not go anywhere though."

"Those books keeping you busy?" I attempt my first bait carefully, hoping I can earn something.

"Well, in a way they do. I have to read them to my brother."

Well, I didn't expect he'd crack up this easily...

"Brother?"

"Yep. You don't think I actually read those do you?" he wears an amused smile, while I  attempt to dismiss my embarrassment.

"No..?" I cover my surprise with laughter.

"I don't really like books that much. But my brother does."