Heartbreak Brew

My phone rings just as I step out of the bookstore.

Paying Linda a visit during a Saturday afternoon, I ended up giving her a hand. 

After all, the weekends are always the busiest.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

"Uh... Post Books. Why?"

"I'm on my way there. Don't go home yet."

I haven't gotten the chance to ask what is he up to when he hangs up. 

It's a bit before dinner and I don't really want to upset Mom for coming late. But Post Books isn't really that far away from McDonald's. 

Maybe I can wait for a bit.

The streets aren't exactly the quietest. People are buzzing to go somewhere and Linda even invites me to wait inside after figuring out I've been standing outside for a while. I decline though - I'd rather not go there without meaning to lend a hand. There's not that much space in there too, since customers are coming in and out every few minutes.

Jo finally arrives. Sweats run down his temples as he huffs out a rough hello while he's still sitting on his black bike. 

"You're sweating..."

"I know."

"A lot."

"Mhm." he wipes his forehead with the back of his hand only to have more to appear. He looks like he's just been having a rough workout.

I chuckle, "I'll ask Linda if she has a drink."

"No, no. I'm fine. Get on, let's have dinner."

"Dinner?" I furrow my brow. I clearly don't expect him to rush all the way here to have dinner with me. 

Well that's something.

"Yeah." he nods with all seriousness, "There's this place that sells great fried chicken. I've been meaning to try it."

Truth be told, I almost decline. But who has the heart to do so after seeing him racing here on his bike? Especially when you have to swerve through the almost-packed streets on a Saturday.

"Wait here." I rush inside without giving him a chance to answer. Asking for a water bottle from Linda, I manage to call Mom that I'd be home a bit late.

"I'm having dinner with a friend."

"Okay, don't be home too late." she easily bids me off, her tone sounds a bit suspicious to me. Ever since Jo's visit on the hospital, Mom thinks that I'm having 'a secret relationship' with the guy. And no matter how many times I try to get fact straight, she doesn't seem to hear me out. 

I shove the matter off my mind once I thank Linda. Then I make my way out, seeing Jo waiting on his bike looking not as red as he did when he arrived.

"Here."

He obliges without a complaint this time, gulping down the water until the bottle is empty. 

I shake my head, realizing how thirsty he's been despite him telling me otherwise. Throwing the bottle away for him on a bin nearby, I waste no time to get on his bike.It feels just like that time after studying Math with him, and I can't help but feel so much better as the whole scenery changes around me.