Crash My Car

"You're back! Oh, you're back! Finally!"

Two weekends after what happened with Rachel and I'm finally standing again at the bookstore. Linda is surprisingly much, much more excited to have me back. And here I am in her embrace.

I really am lucky with my first job, huh?

"I've missed you too, Linda."

"It's been lonely without you! Man, how did I survive without anyone around before?" then she releases me, before returning back to the cashier as quickly as she came, "I haven't gotten to stack the new arrivals, Sash."

"Leave it to me." I grin, walking up to find the boxes of new arrivals.

I didn't realize how the job has become a part of my routine until every Saturday and Sunday afternoons  I spent at the hospital felt very weird to me.

Not having books to be around nor not assisting customers felt off as much as I appreciate spending time with my recovering sister.

"How are the customers?" I peek at Linda while picking out a mystery novel to put on the rack.

She looks up from her magazine, "Mrs. Palmer asked about you. So did Jonah, Greg, Larry, Bella... hm, who else..."

"Aw, I've missed them."

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll meet them soon." she flicks away my concern with a wave of her hand and I presume to work. 

"How's your sister? Is she recovering well?"

"She is. Her wound is closing up pretty quickly." I turn around, facing her again.

"Glad to hear that. It must be a huge shock to your family."

"It did," the topic forces my memory to recall the day I found out about the news and it isn't exactly a thing I'd like to remember, "glad it's over."

"I really hope she's recovering well from the trauma. Oh, I hope they'd get to enjoy a long time behind the bars!"

I guess my face falls a little at the mention of that matter because Linda looks at me in confusion, "She's not going against them?"

"I... uh, I guess she won't."

It definitely catches Linda off-guard.

"Oh, uh, wow. She's really forgiving, huh?" Silence. "I mean, good for her!"

"I'm still having a hard time accepting she isn't going to."

"Well..." her features soften a little, "We can't blame her, I guess. If I were her, I know I'd want to forget all of it as soon as possible."

"It's still a bit unfair, don't you think?"

"If it helps her, it's fair enough Sash."

I sigh, "You're right. Sorry. I'm still having a hard time accepting it."

"Understandable. You want them to get what they deserve for hurting her."

"Exactly! I could lose her that day, Linda. I thought at least they'd get some time in jail for what they did. But at the same time, how can I not support her decision?"

Silence lingers in the room and I can feel Linda's eyes on me. Here I go again, still ranting about the same problem. I really need to stop telling everyone about it.