Honey Launch

"Why do you work all the time? You're still in school."

We're standing side by side in front of a tiny store, after buying two cans of Coca Cola. I don't really want to go home right after having dinner, so the two of us are stranded not far from the diner.

I don't know how I suddenly have the courage to ask him about the lingering questions I have of him. From Rosa, and now this. 

I sneak a glance to look at him, making sure that I'm not overstepping the boundaries. He doesn't seem offended by it - thank goodness.

"I really don't have a choice," then suddenly he looks at me, "Have I told you that I have a brother?"

"Yeah. That's why you always buy children's books, right?"

He absentmindedly nods, "Mhm. The little guy is sick. That's why I need to work."

"What about your parents?"

"Dad is working in another town. He occasionally sends us money, though. But sometimes it's not enough to cover Harry's medication bills. That's where I come in."

I look at him, trying to decide the right response to his answer. A sorry won't suffice. An oh is just... offensive to the whole situation. But turns out, Jo goes on.

"My mother is thankfully still with us. I just can't leave it all to her. I need to help."

"Your Mom must be proud of you."

He offers a smile, "I hope she is."

"So what's your plan after high school?"

His answer doesn't come right away. Only after a few beats, he admits that he still doesn't know what he'll do. "I'll probably work. Or maybe apply to a uni nearby."

"Ah..."

"What about you?"

"I have this one uni I'd like to apply to."

"Where is it?"

"Can't say. I'd rather not jinx it." I grin and he lifts his hands in surrender.

"Alright."

A thought involuntarily pops out, Is it fine if I want to ask further about his little brother?

But I feel like I'm already lucky to get him to open up a bit. I know I'd rather not risk it.

"How about you?" he glances at me, sipping his can, "You seem to have a hard time balancing between school and work. Why bother?"

"I figure I'm old enough to work, so why shouldn't I?"

"Simple as that?"

"Simple as that." I nod and somehow he seems quite amused with my answer. Well, it doesn't seem as important as his. Especially with his sick brother and absent father.

"Starting early," he almost seems to mumble to himself, ", that's great."

"Really?"

He looks at me, "Most of the people at my school are either partying or studying. I'm not saying the latter is bad, but we need to learn how to earn ourselves some money, don't you think?"

"Of course. We'll have to work soon, so why not learn how to do it while we can?"

Jo looks satisfied with my answer, "Exactly. Some skills can't be studied at school after all."