I hate accidents except..

Life, as you know it, has always been full of surprises. 

None of us can really predict what will happen even in the span of the next 10 seconds.

When I stack the new arrivals onto their shelf, I certainly didn't even predict a phone call taking me off-guard. Upon receiving a nod from Linda, I excuse myself before walking out of the store. 

The second I read the caller ID, I know it wouldn't exactly be a smooth conversation.

Rachel would never call me except when she really needs something from me, or if she's absolutely livid of me.

And I know for sure it's most likely the latter.

"Hello?"
"Oh, hello to you too, traitor." her voice is dripping with sarcasm, and I involuntarily winced. "I can't believe you'd tell Mom. I thought you know not to!"

"I didn't tell her, Rach."

It's half true, at least.
I definitely didn't bluntly tell her. She was the one who noticed.

"Oh give me a break! I know what I've been doing- I've shut my mouth shut about it, and I've been careful whenever I want to go out so that she wouldn't realize. But then I told you, and a week later she suddenly knew?"

She snorts, and I can feel she's practically fuming on the other side. Oh, the joy of having a drama queen as a sister.

Despite her attitude, I know Rachel can be nice if she wants to- quite rational at times when she needs to be, too. But I can never get it through my head how she's always making a big deal out of everything these days.

Mom has called her out on it, of course. But alas, the girl has an iron head.

"I already told you, Rach. I didn't say it to her."
"Just great." she groans, and if you didn't know better, you'd think she's having a huge loss right now- probably as huge as losing a scholarship or something.

"Now that Mom knows I've broken up with Peter then got with Ryan within a month after, she'd never like him!"
"I'm sure Mom will like him."

I can hear how uncertain my voice sounded, but Rachel brushes it off.

"Thanks a lot, Sash." 

Then after muttering a quiet 'bye', she ends the call.

Oh brother. I hope I won't grow up to be like her.

I stash my phone in my pocket, drawing a much-needed breath to push the matter to the back of my head. Right now, I need to focus on work.

But even as hours go by, and I tidy books by books, and shelves by shelves, my head is still lingering around the problem. How my head loves to entertain me with negative thoughts is just annoying.

Even if I shake it off for a second, it'll invite itself the moment I'm lost in thought again.