Horrifying ride

"Sasha."

"Yes, Mom?"

"Sit here, honey."

Please tell me I'm not getting scolded or anything. 

It's late. I have school tomorrow, and I think of more reasons to decline sitting on the couch to get myself ready for bed. 

But she's not really offering me to sit there, it's more like an order.

And so I reluctantly oblige.

"You took the bus?"

"Uh... No-" Is this some kind of a trap question? "-a friend of mine gave me a ride."

"Ah..." she nods, but from the look on her face, I guess she saw the whole thing. 

Is she seriously going to give me the "it's fine if you have a boyfriend, honey - I don't mind at all. As long as.." talk?

I refrain myself from sneaking a glance at the clock when she looks back at me, "Hon, I hope you know you can tell me anything."

"Mhm."

"Even when you don't think I'd understand. I'll understand."

"Yes, Mom."

"No secrets from each other, alright? It won't be good for our family. Remember, I appreciate the truth even if it's ugly, sweetie."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"So tell me," she fixates her gaze on me as if it'd work as an X-Ray scan, ", was that your boyfriend?"

"No, Mom. He's a friend from work, and he helped me with the quiz."

Thank goodness I mention the quiz. 

Because as soon as she hears the word, she shoo's me to go upstairs to take a bath then sleep for tomorrow's quiz.

But on the downside... Ah, no. She thinks any boy who's seen with her daughters is the boyfriend. I won't worry too much about that. 

"Did you work yesterday?"

Rosa suddenly appears beside me as I'm settling into my seat, and I nod. 

My answer - as I've guessed it - cause her to sigh as if I'm being thrown into military camp every weekend against my will.

"I'm fine, Ro."

"What about the quiz? That Lawrence just told us-"

"Sssh.." I nudge her, eyeing the said teacher as he steps into the class. The whole room soon follows as the chatters die down significantly.

"I hope you've all studied for the quiz," there he goes acting like he just donated five million dollars for a philanthropic cause, ", which I told you yesterday evening. I really hope you all have prepared well."