Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Palace of Great Benevolence, Forbidden City
October 14, 1744

Gᴜ ɴɪɴɢ ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴇᴅ early in the pavilion, she's going to impart us some important political matter. All the ladies are on their wit's end including me. Last night, a eunuch delivered a message for each ladies he said, "The Head of the Office of Staff Surveillance will personally come here and impart an important political matter, please be ready at 4 AM and wait for the head in the Pavilion outside the Palace."

I situated beside with Heejin, and Pinky sat on the other side, the pavilion was full of chatter, giggles, and ornaments clanging. Just in front of us, Haseul turned around. "I feel like my pins are falling out. Can you guys check them?"

Without a word, Pinky put her slim fingers in the bun of Haseul's hair and checked for loose pins. "That feel better?"

Haseul sighed. "Yes, thank you."

"Ryujin, is there a red stain on my teeth?" Chaeryoung asked. I looked at the front and found her smiling maniacally, exposing all her pearly whites.

"No, you're good," I answered, seeing out of the corner of my eye that Heejin was nodding in confirmation.

"Thanks. She's here," Chaeryoung whispered, pointing over at Gu Ning, who was preparing the brush, ink, bamboo slips, and a manuscript on a table. Chaeryoung then bent down and put her head between her legs and started doing controlled breathing.

Heejin, Pinky, and I looked at each other, eyes wide with amusement, and tried not to laugh. It was hard if we looked at Chaeryoung, so we surveyed the pavilion and chatted about what others were wearing. There were several girls in seductive red and lively yellows, but no one else in blue. Lady Morong had gone so far as to wear orange. I'd admit that I didn't know that much about fashion, but Heejin and I both agreed that someone should have intervened on her behalf. The color made her skin look kind of green.

Before Gu Ning can start her discussion, we realized it wasn't the hanfu making her look green. Lady Morong vomited into the closest ceramic pot very loudly and collapsed on the floor. Gu Ning called a servant, and a fuss was made to wipe the sweat off her and get her into a seat. She was placed in the back row with a ceramic pot at her feet, just in case.

Lia was in the seat in front of her. I couldn't hear what she muttered to the poor girl from where I was, but it looked like Lia was prepared to injure Lady Morong should she have another episode near her.

After the fuss settled down, Gu Ning started her discussion, "Today, the Empress Dowager wouldn't be holding a lesson. Her Majesty just asked me to pass this message 'On Friday, do your best to show what you've learned.' Hence, you girls should prepare anything that can amaze the Empress Dowager."