Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Palace of Great Benevolence, Forbidden City
January 10, 1745

Mʏ ғᴀᴍɪʟʏ sᴛᴀʏᴇᴅ a few days, it was three months into my stay at the palace, and I was completely at home. My body was comfortable in the new environment. The warmth of the palace was heavenly, like a holiday. The sights of this monstrous Palace(Forbidden City) was no longer a mystery.

What still seemed to bring the most tension were the bits of information tossed around. Whoever had been with Yeonjun recently couldn't help but gush about their little interlude. The way everyone spoke, it seemed as if Yeonjun was going to be choosing six or seven Empresses. But not everyone was shining in this experience.

For instance, Pinky had more than a few dates with Yeonjun, which put everyone on edge. Still, she never came across as excited as she had after their very first one.

"Ji'er, if I tell you this, you have to swear not to tell a soul," she said as we walked in the courtyard. I knew it was something serious. She'd waited until we got away from the listening ears in the Pavilion and far beyond the eyes of the servants.

"Of course, Jie'er. Are you all right?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I just . . . I need your opinion on something." Her face was heavy with worry.

"What's wrong?"

She bit her lip. "It's Yeonjun. I'm not sure it's going to work out." she looked down.

"What makes you think that?" I asked, concerned.

"Well, for starters, I don't . . . I don't feel anything, you know? No spark, no connection." she emphasized the word 'feel'.

"Yeonjun can be a little dense and cold. You have to give him time." This was true. I was surprised she didn't know that about him.

"No, I mean, I don't think I like him."

"Oh." That was something very different. "Have you tried?" What a stupid question.

"Yes! So hard! I keep waiting for a moment to come when he'll say or do something to make me feel like we have something in common, but it never happens. I think he's handsome, but that's not enough to build a whole relationship on. I don't even know if he's attracted to me. Do you have any idea what kind of things he likes?"

I thought about it. "No, actually. We've never talked about what he's looking for in the physical department."

"And that's another thing! We never talk. He talks on and on to you, but we never seem to have anything to say. We spend a lot of our time quietly watching something or playing cards." She looked more worried by the minute.