Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Palace of Great Benevolence, Forbidden City
January 25, 1745

Jᴜsᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ᴅᴀʏs, three days! Yeonjun immediately sent Beomgyu door to door to announce that the Consort Selection would be held tomorrow. I know that the Consort Selection would happen after Jennie comes back to the palace, but it was too quick! I thought she would not make her move for the next few days but she's determined to kick me out as soon as possible. She's determined to eliminate everyone, she's a jealous bitch. I must have agitated her that I would reach in a higher position than her, she must have felt threatened.

Everyone complained about the sudden news, even Pinky who doesn't complain even the tasks were too hard, Pinky look agitated since no one knows what test we would encounter during the consort selection. Yeji and Lia who was always laidback and confident that they'll win were now complaining non-stop they were also badmouthing the princess. Lady Nanbei was staring in the air, twirling a strand of her hair. Somi who was reading a book was staring at the same page for minutes already. Everyone wasn't on themselves, even me.

Tomorrow would tremendously change our group, we don't know who would stay and who would leave tomorrow. All the concubines are in their own worlds. The little progress of sisterhood we were trying to build was shattered in a matter of days. All the girls, even me wasn't trying to help others, what could we do? We don't even know that we'll also stay. And that little gathering shone a light to me how serious this competition is. Not even an hour our group disperse and went to our own rooms.

I gulped thinking, Yeonjun can't help me this time around. What should I do? I can't be eliminated reaching this far from the competition. What got me scared was Jennie's words at the welcome party. Does he love her? I know, I should trust Yeonjun's words and promises but my heart can't help but feel the anxiety seeping through. A knock came to my door and I impatiently opened the door to see who was knocking loudly, I unconsciously hitched a sigh.

It was Soobin. Damn my feelings.

Third Person's POV

Palace of Compassion and Tranquility, Forbidden City
January 25, 1745

The stillness of the air around the Imperial Princess' room was overbearing, two powerhouses of the Inner Court were sharing tea to plan the tests for the upcoming Consort Selection. The room's inhabitants were separated into two sides. The Empress Dowager was sitting on the left side of the circular tea table along with her servants, the Imperial Princess was sitting on the right side of the table clearly uncomfortable for the sudden visit of the Empress Dowager.

The room was filled with priceless lacquer boxes, trinket boxes, furniture, even the tea-table was draped with the finest yellow silk. *Juhyun, the head maid of the Princess closed the red sheer fabric drapery inside the room.