Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Forbidden City, Beijing
October 7, 1745

Rᴇᴀᴅɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴀᴛʏ made the ache inside me to be more unbearable. The effort that Yeonjun expended for our countries to be in peace. It was all in the paper, the well-detailed treaty, the benefits of the treaty, and the Imperial seal stamped at the bottom right of the paper. I didn't notice that I was crying already. When I opened the scroll even further I saw a lot of folded paper. I quickly grab the paper with my shaking hands, my vision was so blurry. I hitched a breath when I saw the contents of the papers, I cried even more.

September 24, 1745
Dear Ryujin,

It's been twenty-four hours since you left. Twice now I've started to go to your room to ask how you liked your presents and then remembered you weren't here. I've gotten so used to you. Strangely, you weren't around, drifting down the palace walls and halls. I don't want you to feel like I'm a cage for you. I remember how you said the palace was just that the night I meet you. I think, over time, you've felt freer, and I'd hate to ruin that freedom. I'm going to have to distract myself until you come back.

I decided to sit and write to you, hoping maybe it would feel like I was talking to you. It sort of does. I can imagine you sitting here, smiling at my idea, maybe shaking your head at me as if to say I'm being silly. You do that sometimes, did you know? I like that expression on you. You're the only person who wears it in a way that doesn't come across like you think I'm completely hopeless. You smile at my idiosyncrasies, accept that they exist, and continue to be my friend. And, in twenty-four short hours, I've started to miss that.

I wonder what you've done in that time. I'm betting by now you're sleeping under the comfy heat the tent provides, made it to your paradise (you call self-isolation), and are safe. I hope you are safe. I can't imagine what comfort you must be knowing that you're returning to your family any day now. The lovely 3rd princess has finally returned!

best regards,
慶延俊

September 25, 1745
Dear Ryujin,

I'm sorry the last letter seemed off, the Prime Minister and Soobin visited me last night. They were proposing new laws that could stop the primary illegal doings of the Maeback Foundation. Isn't it great? I know how eager you are to know the head of that foundation to avenge your Brother. Just you wait, I'm almost there. I should get back on track.

I keep trying to picture your kingdom's palace. I remember you telling me it was small compared to this nation's palace, that you had a large garden, and that your pond was where your sisters did all their leisure activities. Beyond that, I've had to resort to my imagination. I imagine you curled up in a hug with your sister or talking to the old palace maids that served you for years. I remember that you know? That you said you liked talking to your maids.