Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Taiyang Mountain, Hebei
January 17, 1745

Mʏ ᴇɴᴛɪʀᴇ ɢᴀᴍᴇ changed overnight, I can't help but bite my lips. Hyunjin's appearance changed my entire plan and calculated move. I don't know what's his goal here, albeit he's my ally. I would ask him once we arrived at Forbidden City. Even my servants who were helping me with my schemes were discreetly worried. They aren't sure if Hyunjin is an ally since only me and Yuna knows his true identity. I deeply sighed and clutched my forehead.

We were already going back to the Forbidden City since Yeonjun deemed it unsafe to stay in the Summer Villa any longer. It seemed our number didn't even dwindle, it increased. The guards guarding around us were thicker than last time. The traitors were forced to walk barefoot, if ever they stumble, the guards around them would hit them by the sword hilts, but Yena and Chaeryoung had it worse. It was Yeonjun's orders to punish them, now I know why Soobin and Taehyun said he was ruthless, he doesn't have any mercy to the people who threaten his Empire and family even if it's a man or woman; an elder or a child; a disabled person or healthy person as long as they tried to sabotage the Empire or the Imperial Family he'll punish them ruthlessly.

Yena and Chaeryoung once renowned as the proud beautiful concubines of Emperor Yeonjun have now degenerated to slaves, traitors, and sluts. They didn't get to eat even a single crumb of food neither a single drop of water for 2 days. Yeonjun let them walk barefoot, their soles were chipped off, bleeding because of the freezing ground. They were wearing thin hanfus causing them to sever.

Yena looked pitiful. Her once well-taken hair was now dry and disheveled. Her chopped off arm was now partially healed but it was still bleeding. Chaeryoung, her once jade-like skin was dried and dirty she had it easier than Yena since her arms are still intact. If they stumble or might cause our journey to slow down their backs were whipped with a whip. The last time I saw them, their backs were exposed and bleeding because of the wounds. It must be hellish, the cold air would kiss their wounds. I couldn't think of if Heejin did survive but reduced to this.

Pinky was still crying over Heejin's death, we couldn't bury her properly since she was branded as a traitor along with Yena and Chaeryoung. I was more than pissed-off, Heejin didn't have the choice her father forced her to betray Yeonjun; I can't blame it on Yeonjun, it was me who failed to notice Heejin's movements. As a friend, I failed miserably.

Thanks to all that thinking, my mind started to drift off to sleep. I don't know why but my nerves twinged and a portentous feeling washed over me before I fell into a deep slumber.

___________________________________

Palace of Great Benevolence, Forbidden City
January 19, 1745

___________________________________

As our entourage was almost at the Imperial City's gate, I heard the noises of the commoners, not the normal noises, it was somewhat like an uprising happening inside the city. I quickly opened my window and looked for Kai. I asked for him to inquire what was happening inside and he immediately took off. When we entered the gates, I heard the people's voices.