Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 42

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Forbidden City, China
October 6, 1745

Aʟᴏɴᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ, I thought over everything. Jisoo was right. I already knew how I felt about Yeonjun, and it was time to tell him my feelings to end this competition once and for all, what I'd meant to be this whole time: I was going to fight.

It had happened so slowly that it took me a while to realize how much we'd changed. But I'd known for these past few days and had still kept my feelings to myself. I had to do the right thing and tell him so. I had to let go of Soobin.

I spent the majority of the way back to the Imperial Palace going over my confession to Yeonjun. I was dreading this, but we could only move forward if he knew the truth. I opened the palanquin door and saw the familiar-yet-unfamiliar grass plains. Taehyun was riding his horse in front of my palanquin. I felt the palanquin stopped and Taehyun stood. I ducked back and closed the window, hoping he didn't notice me spying.

I tried to look very interested in my hanfu until he approached.

"We'll be arriving another half hour or so," He informed me.

"All right. Good."

He was opening his mouth to speak, but immediately close it and slowly retreated.

"It'll be fine. I'm going to tell Yeonjun the truth, and I'm going to take responsibility for this."

He took a deep breath. "Listen. . . I need to tell you something. I know it's going to be difficult, but you need to know. I'm always here for you okay? I'll be on your beck when you need it."

I mouthed a thank you to Taehyun and he gave me a warm smile in return before closing the palanquin's window and we started to move once again.

꧁✿꧂

Walking back into the massive gates of the Imperial Palace felt impossibly right. A high-ranking maid I'd never seen before was there to take my belongings, and Taehyun was next to a general, explaining quietly that he'd give a full report on the trip in the morning. I entered the palace first along with Yuna and Chaeyoung, we were about to turn in the direction of my palace, but another high-ranking maid stopped me. My mood was still not that good at all, after all, I can't even see my father down in his resting place, it would take months because of traditional ritual.

"Don't you want to go to the banquet, Your Worship?"

"Excuse me?" Was I supposed to have some fantastic homecoming or something?

"In the Hall of Supreme Harmony, Your Worship. I'm sure they're waiting for you."

That was the least of explanation I was expecting, but oh well, I turned to Yuna and Chaeryoung and told them to prepare my bed because I would just check what the maid was spouting before going back to my palace to rest, I need to collect the courage to confess to Yeonjun.