Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Hall of Supreme Harmony, Forbidden City
Spring Festival Eve

Gᴏɴɢs ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴛʀᴜᴄᴋ to start the banquet it lasted for a minute before Yeonjun stood up from his throne. Everyone present at the grounds looked up to wait for his speech. His long black hair fluttered from the cold wind. He looked regal with his headdress consisted of a hat secured to the head with a red string (纓), topped by a rectangular board (綖), with threads of gems (旒) attached to its front and back edges, and two "earplugs" (充耳) hanging off the two sides. He cleared his throat 

"My subjects, Ministers, Nobles, and Concubines." As he was saying that he was looking at the ministers and nobles, but when he said Concubines he looked at me. " I'm glad all of you freed your time just to attend my banquet. Now Let the celebration begin!" 

Everyone bowed their heads and chanted the same thing. "Greetings to His Majesty the Emperor! May the Emperor live for a thousand years!"

Yeonjun raised his arm in dismissal. "Rise." He then finally sat down. "When *Zhen was engaged with strengthening the nation's power, the ministers and my mother prepared such a wonderful gift for me. I thank you for that." as Yeonjun said that he looked at the ministers and his mother with contempt. The ministers oblivious of Yeonjun's stare thanked him, while the Empress Dowager simply hid her smile behind her porcelain-like hands.

"As Zhen said, the gift they prepared me is this 15 lovely concubine here," he said, pointing at us, most of the girls giggled and blushed. "This year's banquet, Zhen prepared the *Manchu Han Imperial Feast as to commemorate for my soon-to-be Imperial Concubines. But first, we should watch the performances they prepared just for today!" Yeonjun smiled, fakely. The rest of the girls kept giggling because of Yeonjun's 'praises' I remained stoned-face like a buddha. The ministers, nobles, and the Imperial Family clapped their hands and cheered for us. The noble girls who didn't make it—the competition—sneered at us.

The girls who would perform together gathered, while the rest who decided to perform alone kept sitting on their seats. The first group that would perform is Somi and her friends, they'll perform *Yangge as to express happiness for the Emperor. 

"The ladies from Anhui, Gansu, Guangdong, and Fujian province would perform the famous Yangge dance!" Beomgyu announced as Somi and her friends went to the stage. Everyone sat properly and waited for them to perform.

Melodious tune resounded in the stage, drums, flute, and string instruments complemented with each other. Somi and the other three were holding red-circular lanterns each. After dancing for a few seconds all of them sang the lyrics of the Yangge dance. In the middle of their performance, they placed the lanterns in front of the stage and grabbed the gold plates from the servants on the side. The four of them walked in circles while slowly raising their legs up and down; also slowly turned the plates above their heads. Right at the end of their performances all of them were holding a red cloth and waved it up and down.