Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Forbidden City, Beijing
October 8, 1745

Tʜᴇ ʜᴀʟʟ ᴏғ sᴜᴘʀᴇᴍᴇ ʜᴀʀᴍᴏɴʏ was packed. For once, instead of the Emperor being the focal point of the room, it was I and Somi. On a slightly raised platform, Yeonjun, Somi, and I sat at an ornate table. I felt as if our positioning was deceitful. I was Yeonjun's right. I always thought being on someone's right was a good thing, an honored position. But so far he'd spent the entire time speaking to Somi. As if I didn't already know what was coming.

I tried to seem happy as I looked around the hall. It was packed. Gu Ning, of course, was in a corner, as usual ordering an army of maids narrating the orders in a monochromic tone. Haseul smiled and waved, and beside her Lady Nanbei winked at me playfully. Toward the back of the hall, in deceptively clean clothes, the men my sister and I sneaked inside, and some authentic rich merchants sat at a table by themselves talking rather joyous. Of course, Yeonjun would want everyone in the Forbidden City to meet his new wife.

The Prime Minister surveyed the room tensely as if they feared any second a rebel from Maeback House would come out somewhere and attack. The guards didn't seem to be paying attention, though. In fact, their eyes were begging to also celebrate this "joyous" moment for the Empire.

My eyes flitted over The Empress Dowager, speaking with Taehyun and his father, she looked furious. While the Taehyun and his accompany were trying to entertain, she didn't bother to act like she was having a single ounce of joy in the conversation. She quickly left the both of them, In a second, I saw her stare at me and raised her eyebrows smugly before leaving the hall. The Prime Minister, Yongi. Who was busy surveying the room followed the Dowager right after she left. It is indeed a peculiar sight, but oh well. I don't want to delve into something that I won't tackle after this celebration anyway.

I turned and scanned the faces of the girls again, and this time my eyes landed on Yeji. I could see the clear question in her eyes: What are you so worried about? I gave her a minuscule shake of my head, letting her know that I'd lost. She sent me a thin smile and mouthed the words It'll be okay. I nodded, and I tried to believe her. How funny if it was a few months ago and someone would tell me I would trust Yeji with my heart? I would have laughed and called them nuts. Yeji turned away, laughing at something someone said; and I finally looked to my right, taking in the face of the man wearing plain hanfu quite a different approach than the rest of the people here.

Soobin was distracted though. He was looking around the room like the Prime Minister, but he seemed to be trying to think of something. It was as if he was doing a puzzle in his head. I wished he would look my way, maybe try to explain wordlessly what he was worried about, but he didn't.

"Trying to arrange a time to meet later?" Yeonjun asked, and I whipped my head back.

"No, of course not."