on my own part 19

Chapter 18 routines

Ricky pov

Ever since we got home from the hospital John has been completely off his schedule.  He is fussy all the time. I feel like I am a horrible parent . I can't seem to do anything right. Despite my best efforts nothing I am doing to attempt to help soothe him seems to be working . I gently swayed him side to side . He rested his head on my shoulder but continued crying louder. What's wrong buddy? What can daddy do to make his little man feel better? I asked him. Just then his little arms reached out in the direction of his crib . I turned around and took a look inside the crib. I saw that his teddy bear blanket  that Bella had gotten for him when he was in the Hospital was sitting at the edge of the mattress . With John in my arms I walked over to the crib . I cradled him ln one hand leaving my other hand free to grab his toy. I bent down to retrieve the teddy bear that was attached to an extremely soft relatively speaking small blanket. There you go little man I said to him as I placed the toy in his small arms. He grabbed it from me and put one of the ears of the teddy bear into his mouth and started sucking on it. Alright buddy come on let's get you something to eat I told him as I brought him into the kitchen. I carefully set him down in his  swing. He kept a tight grip on his new favorite toy . I washed my hands and then started to make up a fresh bottle for john to eat. I wrapped him up I a blanket and began to feed him.  Good job buddy I told him as he eagerly sucked on his bottle . After I finish feeding him I lifted him up on my shoulder to burp him. I lightly tapped him on the back.  You're alright I said to him . Once I was finished burping him I went in to the kitchen to put the dirty bottle in the sink. I brought John into the living room to see if he would be interested in some playtime. First I laid john down in his swing and then I grabbed a blanket from the couch and spread it on the floor. I gathered some of his favorite toys . Then I went over to his swing and lifted him up into my arms . He still held on tightly to his teddy bear blanket . Alright little man come on I said to him as I got down on the floor and set him in my lap.  I started hugging , kissing , and singing to him . His eyes lit up and he started smiling .

Grace pov

Lately I've been thinking . My dream is to have a career in both childcare and health care . However preferably I would like it to be mainly healthcare . There's only 1 solution and I can think of that would be a viable option for me . My dream is to become a pediatrician . Recently my thoughts have been turning to Ricky and my godson John . Yesterday I decided to give Ricky a call. I wanted to see if there's anything I could do to help him . So I decided to offer to help babysit John so that Ricky is able to catch up on some homework. The plan is that since we are in all of the same classes together throughout the school day I collected all of his homework assignments . After school I go over to his house and deliver his homework to him . Then I help Ricky gather everything that John needs . I take John home with me so that Ricky can concentrate on his homework and have no worries about what's going on with John . There is less than 15 minutes until the end of last period . I just have to finish copying down these notes for my English class and then I can go over to Ricky's house and pick up John so I can babysit him .

Ricky pov

We have been playing for a while now and I'm starting to see sings of John getting fussy. I think that it is time for me to give him a bath ,get him a fresh diaper , and put him down for a nap before grace comes to pick him up.  Come on little man I said as I lifted him up into my arms . I made sure that he had his teddy bear blanket with him . John continued crying. I know, I know buddy I said. Let's go and get you ready for when auntie grace comes to pick you up . John looked up at me . Yes auntie grace is going to come over and drop daddys homework off and you are going to go and play with her so that daddy can concentrate on his work without having to worry about his little man I told John. I took him into the Nursery and grabbed his sleeper,three diapers, two towels, and some of his bath toys. I put everything in a bag and lifted John out of his crib . I took both him and the bag of his bath stuff to the bathroom. Alright little man it's time for your bath I said. I turned on the faucet in the tub . I make sure to check the temperature to be certain and it wasn't too hot and also that it wasn't too cold . I lay down down on the changing table that I have set up in the bathroom . I got him undressed but I made sure to leave his diaper on until the last minute . Once he was completely undressed I carefully cradled him in my arms. To no surprise of mine John was extremely fussy . He hated bathtime. Mostly because of the fact that he is still a newborn and newborn babies get extremely uncomfortable when they are exposed . Okay buddy it's alright little man I said. Daddy is going to do his very best to do this as fast as he can I told him. John continued crying the whole time he was in  the tub . Okay little man we're done I told john once I had pulled the plug in the tub. I quickly got him out of the water , dried off and a fresh diaper on him before he had the chance to pee on me. After I made sure that he had his diaper on I finished getting him dressed in his sleeper. By this time he was very overtired and extremely fussy . I knew that more than likely it would be quite a while before I could even attempted to get him to fall asleep . I wrapped him up in a blanket and sat down in the rocking chair in the nursery . I started to sing a shooting lullaby to him . Once he had finally fallen asleep I gently placed him in his crib . I set his teddy bear blanket beside him . Before I left the room I turned on both baby monitors and took one with me. I took the opportunity while John was sleeping to do some quick house chores . I put all of the dirty dishes that were in the sink in the dishwasher then I flipped laundry . Once I had completed my chores I took a quick glance at the clock . I realized I had forgotten to pack John's diaper bag. So I made sure that I had the majority of his stuff packed and ready for when Grace comes to pick him up. Finally I had a chance to sit down and catch up on Some  reading that I had to get done for my English class . The book that my teacher wanted everyone to read is called The Fault in Our Stars by John Green . I grabbed the book from my bookshelf and sat down on the couch . I took the bookmark out of the book and began reading .