Chapter Twenty-One

The feeling of Jack's breath tickling my ear woke me the next morning. I felt the weight of his arm wrapped around me, my back pressed against his bare chest.

In fear of waking him I remained where I was until I felt him stir.

"G'morning," Jack mumbled, still sleepy.

His morning voice was the sexiest thing I'd ever heard.

I wiggled my body so I was facing him. He smoothed my hair down and gave me a cheeky smile.

"G'morning to you too."

Ever so delicately his hand traced circles along my outer thigh. I buried my face in his chest as he kissed my shoulder.

My intuition told me that it was way past time to go to work. I pulled away from Jack's grip and tried to get up but he grabbed me arm.

"Where do you think you're going Brown?"

"We both have jobs that we're very late for. We have to go."

"It's like you refuse to remember I'm Chief. We can just use a sick day."

"You always get on other agents' cases when they call in sick."

"Well you're not just any other agent."

Jack snaked his hand around my hip and pulled me back under the covers. I giggled and squirmed, trying to break free of his grasp. This only made Jack more competitive as he grabbed tighter.

"You have a dominance issue Jack."

"I could say the same after last night Melody."

I smacked his arm playfully and kissed him. Just as he sunk into the kiss, I broke free of his grasp.

"Hah!"

He groaned and leaned on his elbows.

"Tell me you're not actually going to the office."

"Nope, I'm going to go shower."

His eyes gave me an enticing look and sat up further.

"Let me join you then."

"You'll just distract me."

"Isn't that the point?"

I rolled my eyes and ran to his bathroom before he had a chance to say anything else. I made sure to lock the door too, I knew his tricks too well.

I let the water get hot and steamy before jumping in. After a few minutes I heard Jack knock on the door.

"You're gonna use all my hot water Brown! Hurry up!"

I smiled and made sure to take my sweet time.

When I walked out of the bathroom I saw Jack in the kitchen making coffee. When he saw me wrapped up in a towel his cheeky expression returned.

"Wanna borrow one of my shirts to wear sweetheart?"

I nodded and my eyes lingered on his biceps as he headed back to the bedroom. He handed me a shirt a moment later and headed back into the kitchen.

I could've walked away to change, but what was the fun in that?

I dropped my towel in front of Jack which made his eyes go wide and slowly put on his shirt.

"You are so bad Brown."

"I know, but you love me for it."

"I do."

He walked over to me and wrapped me into a hug.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"I don't think that's possible Melody."

"I'm starving. Wanna go get some breakfast?"

He nodded and went to get dressed. A few minutes later we were both ready to leave.

We headed to the automat and slid into a booth.

"Well well well nice to see you two again."

I looked up and saw Angie smirking at me.

"Hey Angie. We're starved."

"And in yesterday's clothes too" she added.

I blushed as Jack rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Ahem well yes can we order?"

"Sure, I'll give you a minute to look over the menu while I grab you two coffee."

Before she walked away she whispered in my ear.

"I want details later southern belle!"

"I think I'm gonna get eggs."

"Can I have a bite of your eggs?"

"Whenever you say you're going to have a 'bite' of my food, you end up eating my entire plate Melody."

"I don't want a bunch of eggs, I just want a bite."

"You say that every time-"

Our conversation was interrupted when two familiar faces slid into the booth next to us.

"Hey guys...nice to see you two arguing like usual. The world is finally spinning again."

I turned towards Daniel and Peggy.

"How nice of you guys to join us. We're just getting breakfast."

"And you both didn't come into work this morning, I wonder why-"

Daniel started until Jack kicked him under the table.

"We went looking for you guys and ended up here. Care to explain the absence?"

Jack glanced at me and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sure you can put the pieces together."

Jack's cheeks flushed red and Daniel stifled a laugh.

"Yes, I'm sure we can."

We ate breakfast, which was more like a lunch, and chatted for a while with Daniel and Peggy.

"So, have you guys put in any more thought about the wedding yet?"

"Actually yes. We've decided to get married in...London!"

"Wow that's huge!"

"Yeah, Peg really wanted to get married in a church near her home so I thought why not just bring my family out to London. My folks have never left the states."

"So does that mean I get to meet some of your British friends?" I asked.

"Yes! I have a bunch of girls who'd love to meet you."

Angie handed us the check a few moments later.

"So London huh?" Angie asked.

She sounded a little left out.

"Yes, and I have a big question for you Angie. Will you be my maid of honor?"

This sent Angie into a screaming fit.

"Oh my gosh! I've never been a bridesmaid before, much less the maid of honor! I'd love to, of course, if it's okay with you Melody."

I grinned at Angie and Peggy.

"It suits you perfectly Angie."

Angie ran off in a giddy frenzy, almost as if she was a child on a sugar high.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner Melody, it's just Angie is really excited about this whole wedding thing and helped me out so much when I first came here."

"Trust me Peggy, I'm so happy for her. I wouldn't want it any other way."

"So you'll still be one of my bridesmaids Melody?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"That brings me to my next question," Daniel said as he turned to Jack. "Care to be my best man?"

Jack smiled and shook Daniel's hand.

"I'll try not to lose the ring."