Chapter Twenty-Eight

Melody's POV

"Do you really have to go over there?"

"I'll be fine Jack. I only have to grab that dress and I'll be back."

Jack huffed and tapped his fingers on the countertop anxiously. He still didn't like the idea of me going over to my apartment alone. I steadied Jack's hand and grabbed my purse.

"Are you sure you don't just want me to come with you?"

"No activity has been reported by my landlord for the past few weeks. It was a one-time thing."

I could tell Jack wanted to protest further, but I shut him up with a kiss. He always got all hot and bothered when I did that.

I gave him one last peck on the cheek and headed for the door.

It was New Years and we were going to a party Howard was holding at one of the clubs he owned in town. I wanted to grab a dinner dress and a few more of my personal belongings before we headed out for the evening.

Walking up the stairs of my apartment building was a more daunting task than I'd originally thought. Before entering I took a deep breath and clutched my purse tightly. What was I so worried about? It was a one-time thing, just like I had told Jack.

Much to my dismay, something in my gut said differently.

The heavy door opened with a noise right out of a horror film. At first glance nothing looked touched. Whoever had broken in before was either an amatuer or was trying to send a message.

I shook the chilling feeling off and gathered my belongings quickly. It was a strange thing that nothing was taken, no money or papers or anything. With one last glance I turned off the lamp and left swiftly.

"Are you almost ready Mel?" I heard Jack call from the living room.

"Just a minute!"

Tonight's attire was a long, blush pink evening dress with a white beaded bodice. I always liked to wear my hair long with soft curls.

Red lipstick was painted on carefully along with a touch of mascara. My eyelashes were naturally full, an italian blessing.

I had matched the dress with silk blush colored gloves and a white clutch. With one last look in the mirror, I left the bathroom confidently.

No matter how many times I got dolled up, Jack always acted like he was seeing me for the first time. His signature grin played on his lips as I walked out to meet him.

"You look foxy."

He stepped closer to me and slyly placed his hand on my lower back.

"I'm sure not as charming as that tux looks on you Chief."

He always got excited when I called him that. He tightened his grip ever so slightly, pulling me an inch closer.

"Maybe we should just stay home from this party," he murmured into my ear.

I turned my head upwards so our lips became dangerously close together, almost touching.

"What would we do instead?"

He chuckled lightly and moved his lips closer.

"I can think of a few ideas..."

I leaned in slightly, just enough so our lips would brush and then I pulled away. He gave a frustrated sigh and grabbed my arm.

"Are you ever going to stop doing that to me?"

"Oh Jack, when will you learn? You don't give me orders. Now c'mon, there's a party waiting for us."