Chapter Ten

The next morning I heard the handle turn. I sat up slowly and saw one of the guards in the doorway. 

"Boss wants you. Get up."

 I changed quickly in my closet and followed the guard. I could've probably taken him down, but I didn't want to risk my friend's safety. I met Frankie in his office and the guard closed the door.

"Where are my friends?" 

"They're locked away in a separate part of the house. They're unharmed...for the most part." 

"What did you do to them?"

 "I could tell you, but it'll have a bigger impact if I show you." 

He escorted me to a locked door which led to the basement. It was extremely damp and poorly lit down there. I peered into the darkness and saw a figure on their knees.

Frankie flipped the switch and revealed Jack. I gasped when he looked up at me.

 His face was bruised, his lip bloodied.

 There was a deep gash on the side of his forehead and blood dripped down into his eyes. Shock and worry momentarily took my attention away from the anger I felt at Frankie.

 I approached Jack and tenderly touched his cheek.

 "What the hell did you do to him," I whispered. 

"I don't like to get my hands dirty, but I had a few of my boys rough him up a little." 

I turned towards Frankie. I knew he was doing this to make me upset. 

"Just tell you what you want from me. Leave Jack out of this."

"If it was that simple, I would've. Unfortunately you two have seemed to form a special bond. I have to make sure that bond has ended."

 "You can't make me stop caring for him Frankie." 

"That may be true, but I can damn well make sure he stops caring for you. Would you like to start Mel, or should I?"

 I eyed Frankie but kept my mouth shut.

"Let me tell you about our girl Melody here. She used to be in love with me. We moved to Atlanta when my business took me there, and she helped me with a few things." 

I turned away from Jack and bit my lip. Frankie approached Jack and bent down so they were eye-to-eye. 

"Just shut up Russo. I don't want to hear-"

 Frankie cut him off by punching him in the jaw. I gasped again as my blood boiled. 

"Leave him alone Frankie!"

"Then you two should let me finish. Now Chief, I know how much abiding by the law means to you. You are an up and coming government agent. That's a big deal. What if I told you our girl Melody here wasn't always fighting for justice?"

 Jack clenched his jaw.

 "Go on." 

"Well you see, Melody was working in the SSR office when we were still together. She also worked alongside me. She got me information when I needed it." 

Jack looked up at me. Pain and sadness filled his gaze. 

"Is this true Melody?"

 I couldn't will my eyes to look at him.

 "Yes," I whispered while staring at the ground.

"You were a double agent?" 

"I changed Jack, I knew it was wrong so I changed."

 "Only after I wiped her brain," Frankie added.

 Jack hung his head. His eyes looked lost in thought.  

"Please look at me Jack. Please."

 I touched his cheek again but he turned his head away from me. 

"Now that we've gotten that out of the way, we can make a deal."

"Now I know about your little secret Jack. The one where you accepted a Navy Cross for killing a bunch of innocent Japanese soldiers. Don't worry, Melody didn't betray your trust with that. I just have eyes and ears everywhere. So, if you want your boyfriend's livelihood not to be ruined forever Melody, then you'll agree to come back to Atlanta with me." 

"Are you crazy Russo? Over my dead body will she be going anywhere with you." 

"If that's how it has to go down, then so be it."

Jack looked at me. He still looked angry but also worried. 

"Melody, you can't do this. I can't leave you with this lunatic." 

"He's hurt you enough. I've hurt you enough. I won't let you lose your career because of me too." 

My lip trembled as my eyes met Frankie's gaze. 

"Let him and my friends go unharmed, and I'll go with you."

 "What? No! Melody don't do this!" Jack yelled.

I bent down next to Jack and stared into his eyes.

 "I have to. Just...say goodbye to Daniel and Peggy for me." 

Jack shook his head. 

"Please..." he whispered. 

I put my hand under his chin and kissed him tenderly. I wiped a tear from his cheek and stood up again. 

"Promise to get them home unharmed?" 

"I promise, they'll be tucked in their beds within a few hours." 

I gave one last look at Jack and ran up the stairs. Russo had turned back to Jack for a moment and smirked. 

"It feels so good knowing her innocence belongs to me too. That's right, not too long ago she was screaming out my name..no, I bet you haven't even fucked her yet. What a coward."

Jack slammed on the chains he was in and met his eyes with a fierce gaze. 

"Go. To. Hell."