the cheerleader and the quarterback

Sabrina Grimm, 17, is a Senior at Ferryport Landing and the new captain of the cheer squad. She had worked so hard to get the position and she finally earned it. And tonight was the first game of the season.

She pulled into the parking lot, all dressed up in her cheer uniform, pom-poms and phone in the back of her car. She had on a full face of makeup and her honey-blonde hair was curled and it was in a half up half down look, a dark blue and white in the back.

She exited her car, opened the back door, grabbed her pom-poms and phone, and walked around the school and to the football field. As she neared, Bella and Mollie, her best friends, ran over.

"Hey, captain. You ready for our first game?" Mollie asked as they all linked arms.

"Yes and no. I just hope people like the routine," Sabrina replied, unlinking their arms.

The trio walked past a few of the football players, including quarterback Puck Goodfellow. The two exchanged a quick smile and wave, which made Sabrina's heart lurch.

The two had a complicated past. They were best friends all throughout elementary school but stopped hanging out in middle school. Once they got to high school, though, their lives intermixed again. He joined the football team and she became a cheerleader. They started to talk again, but not so much where they were besties again.

But Sabrina will admit, only to Bella and Mollie, that she had a small crush on him.

"Oooh, go get your man, cap," Bella whispered.

"Phhs, it's nothing like that," Sabrina responded.

"Yeaaah, right," Mollie chimed in.

The blonde rolled her eyes and sat down on the bleachers with the rest of the cheer squad. As they sat down, the football team ran onto the field, and as Puck slipped on his helmet, Sabrina could've sworn he winked at her.

"Did you guys see that?" she asked.

"See what?" Bella asked in return, looking up from her phone.

"Oh, uhh, nothing."

Bella nodded and continued to scroll on whatever app she was on. Sabrina turned to talk with Mollie, but she had left and was conversating with other girls. So that left the blondie with one choice. To watch the boys. Which wasn't a bad thing, it made Sabrina think about that wink and smile.

••••••••••••••

It was the second half of the game and the third quarter and Ferryport Landing was doing wonderful. They were winning and Sabrina felt good. Their half-time routine did well and so did the band's performance.

Sabrina, with the other girls, stood on the sidelines, cheering and smiling for their team. And as a boy from their school grabbed the ball and ran towards the end of the field, their cheers grew louder.

Now, the next minute or so is a blur to Sabrina, but thankfully, that's what narrators are for.

Someone from the other team grabbed the ball, but Puck grabbed it back. But he was running too fast and right in the direction of Sabrina. Before both of them knew what was happening, he crashed into her and they went flying.

After he ran into her, the last thing Sabrina remembers is hitting her head really hard on the ground and Puck getting up and realizing what he'd done. After that, she felt her eyes slowly close and she slipped into sleep.

When Puck got up, he saw Sabrina's eyes flutter close and he lightly grabbed her shoulders, trying to shake her awake.

"Sabrina?" he yelled, tears forming in his eyes.