Ch 13

Steve and I are in the hospital seeing Fury being operated on through a window.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asks as she approaches us in a hurry.

"We don't know." Steve says softly.

"Tell me about the shooter." She says seriously.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." I answer not looking away from Fury.

Agent Hill then joins us.

"Ballistics?" Natasha asks.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Hill sighs.

"Soviet made." Natasha says.

"Yeah." Hill nods.

Fury's state then gets worse. The nurses and doctor talk to each other quickly trying to take control of the situation as we watch in shock.

"Don't do this to me, Nick." Natasha mumbles.

Fury is shocked with the defibrillator but gets no pulse they do it again but there's still no pulse.

"Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." Natasha continues to mumble.

We continue to watch but Fury is still flatlining. I turn away with a clench of my jaw when they call the time of death. I look down at the flash drive Fury have given me.

~

Natasha, Steve and I are in a room where they laid Fury's dead body out. Steve and I stand back while Natasha is with Nick.

"I need to take him." Hill says walking over to us.

I find myself walking over to Natasha which surprises Steve and walks out of the room and Rumlow gets his attention.

"Natasha." I call out softly but she doesn't respond touching Fury's head and walks away out of the room.

"Natasha!" I call out as I follow her and she swiftly turns around making me step back.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" She asks.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"Sarge, they want you and Cap back at SHIELD." Rumlow interrupts making me groan.

"Yeah, give me a second." I tell him.

"They want you now." He says making my jaw clench.

"Okay." I sigh and I turn back to Natasha.

"You're a terrible liar." She says and turns walking away.

Sitwell and Rumlow are talking to each other and I notice a vending machine.

~

Steve and I are brought back to SHIELD to see a man talking to our neighbor- well Agent 13.

"For whatever it's worth, you did your best." The man tells her.

"Thank you, sir." She tells him before she turns to us.

"Captain Rogers, Sergeant Barnes." She acknowledges us.

"Neighbor." Steve replies coldly.

"Ouch." I mumble.

"Ah, Captain, Sergeant. I'm Alexander Pierce." The man introduces himself.

"Sir, it's an honor." Steve says as they shake hands.

"The honor is mine, Captain. My father served in the 101st. Come on in." He tells us motioning us to go inside his office.