XXXIV

There is more in life than breathing.

***

The stars are brightly shining above us.

I don't know what's gotten in the thick smoke in the city today, but the horizon is very visible in the glass roof and all we see are the different shining stars. They are all yellow.

Tiningnan ko si Doctor Elliot na nakahiga rin katabi ko. He's staring directly at the stars, and here I am... Staring directly at him. Admiring him in every way I can. From his pointy nose, beguiling eyes and manly hair. Everything about him is too perfect.

"You like the stars." It's not a question but rather a statement.

Nakikita ko mismo sa mga mata niya kung paano ito kumislap habang nakatingin sa kalangitan. I can't stop myself but to flash a smile.

He then looked at me with his deep eyes and smiled.

"I like seeing them with you," his voice is a bit hoarse, trying to be calm after a moment of silence. "Stars are just too precious for our naked eyes, Cora."

"What do you mean, doc?" mahina kong tanong.

"Look at them, they're shining. It feels like they're making us think how wonderful they are to be admired and to looked upon. They give so much satisfactions among people, they give hope and freedom." he heaved a sigh before he continued his talking. "Ever since I started to lay my eyes on them, I never stopped admiring them from afar."

"I think they are really meant to be up there. For us to admire them and fulfill our satisfaction. Actually the stars reminds me of someone."

Naramdaman ko ang pagbaling ng ulo niya sa akin kaya napangiti ako. He's interested to listen. He's all ears on me.

"May I know that someone?" his voice is getting deeper.

I don't exactly know if it's the night that makes him look tensed or my presence beside him. Pero sa pagkakataon na 'to, alam kong pareho ang sagot.

"He's an epitome of perfection for me. The way he talk, his smile, and everything about him." I answered.

"You are referring to a man?" he asked unexpectedly.

Kahit hindi ako nakatingin sa kanya ay alam kong hindi siya mapakali ngayon. I wouldn't blame him though, the way I delivered those lines will surely put him into an idea.

"Yes, doc. Lalaki po siya."

Bumalik ulit ang tingin niya sa langit. Akala ko ay hindi na siya magsasalita, pero nagulat ako dahil bumalik ang tingin niya sa akin.

"Why do I feel like I know the guy that you are referring?"

For the ninth time of this day, nahulog ulit  ako sa mga mata niya. The place is very wide, but still we need to find air for each other to breathe.

A moment of silence invaded the area as we both stare at the stars above us. It feels like a romantic scenery, but I know deep in myself that it's more than that. Romance is too forbidden in this generation, but here we are, doing the actual opposite.

Habang nakatingin ako sa mga bituin, sumagi sa isip ko si Doctor Elliot kahit nasa tabi ko lang siya.

It reminds me of him.

Jus like a star, I can see him but I can't have him. He's very visible in my eyes and I know he's existing, but he's too far and I can't reach him.

"Cora," he spoke.

"Yes, doc?"

"Ask me anything, I don't want the dead air between us," he commanded.