X

For every time you breathe, there's a hope.

****

"Are you ready?"

Huminga muna ako ng malalim bago sila tinitigan sa mata. That is only a question but it bothered my whole mentality. Parang na blanko agad ako sa tanong na iyon. Am I ready? Am I ready to conquer the things I never know? Am I ready to answer their questions?

Huminga ako ng malalim at umayos ng tayo.

"I'm ready," Matapang kong sagot.

Agad na nagtipa sa keyboards ang nasa-gitnang babae na parang may ginagawa siya sa kanyang computer. Ang matanda naman na pinaupo ko kanina ay nakangiti lang ng malapad sa akin na parang gusto niyang sabihin na 'okay lang, kaya mo 'yan'.

"It has been days after we started this search for the new aspiring inventors. Many are called but few are only chosen. Even if it is badluck or goodluck, you're here in front of us because of some reason, would you mind of you share it with us?" Saad ng babae na nauuna.

Tumikhim ako at nagisip muna saglit. Mukhang tini-test talaga nila kung hanggang saan ang pininindigan ng mga young inventors na gaya ko.

"You made an invitation for the aspiring inventors to join, that's why I also joined. Inventing is always what I want and it is the only thing that keeps me on dreaming. I joined here not just because I wanted to invent, but also to help my fellow Verdelians or even the whole-wide-world if I have to." Tinignan ko ulit ang nagtanong kanina at nakita ko siyang naka-ngiti.

"So you came here to help other people? How will you do that? East Acres has thousands of people, how will you able to help them?" Tanong niya ulit.

"With great dreams, comes a great responsibility. I am a dreamer, and my dream is to have this world at peace. This interview is my stepping-stone to reach that dream and If I'll have the chance to be part of your team, I'll do my very best to save everyone through inventing the best weapon we could ever have."

I saw them nodded their head and scanned through their papers, except for the girl in the center who uses computer. Nagkaroon ulit ng kaunting katahimikan bago nagsalita ang pangalawang babae.

"Verdel Acres is now facing lots of issues and health problems, and one of the reason is Oxygen. It has been dropping and was replaced by different gasses especially carbon dioxide. You also said that you invent things, what kind of invention do you think is the most needed in order to address this issue?"

I smiled. Alam kong itatanong nila ito kaya handang-handa ako.

"I am a cetizen of Verdel Acres, and I am aware of such issue. Now, the concern here is not really the Oxygen, it is ourselves who are too insensitive and dumb. Hindi natin malalaman na may problema na pala kung hindi lang bumaba ang level ng oxygen. We are too busy building and creating futuristic stuffs without noticing that our entire world is already dying. Now, if ever I will be part of this team, I will invent a machine that would make the waste materials into an energy." Ang dami ko pang gustong sabihin pero I decided to limit it. As long as malinis ang intention ko, at wala akong rules o law na inilabag, magiging okay ako.

"Base on your profile, you've never been into the university. Where did you learned all that?" Biglang tanong ng pang-apat na babae which is second to the last.