Chapter 1

The nightclub was rainbow lights and the sort of beats that revved up the soul. That's why they named it highrise, rising up like a fucking kite. But it is intoxicating, a primal need for others, to move and experience joy as one, separate and joined, that's what the nightclub was all about and for us the perfect place to showcase our talent.

Us... we weren't scared to play things that didn't belong to us. We do it for practice, for the crowd. Who will complain when they hear the shit they love hearing. The songs that make them fly and soar above the rest. Even when you lose yourself it's the moments we all live for. 

If I wanted to I could herd them like sheep, all of them are here to either escape or impress something they will never know about. It's easy, play a few songs that really grab your attention making you move past your limits, and then cuck them with Beethoven. As long as there is one crackhead asshole jumping up and down no one will question it. In fairness, mostly everyone is either too high or too drunk to notice.

I love music. Clubs were my go-to every night, like most of these people it was my escape. Behind the board, I was another person providing something I loved. Now... it is repetitive. I enjoy it but the heart in it has gone.

At the booth, the two of them are living their lives. The past few hours have been nonstop music and the club is already throwing out its lovely patrons. Looking around it seemed another incident of either mas indecency or fighting broke out as everyone is being led to the door.

Flashing a token at the nearby guard I make my way to the bar, watching them all slowly leave and the music fading as the building is emptied.

"The yield for the night?"

"Good as always."

The barman passes me a glass as he leaves the counter resting next to me. "Absolute Zero... a real kick around here and the locals always ask for you. Making it hard for new DJs to make a stand around here."

I chuckle, "We might be going mainstream in the future. Change our alias and let them take the brand over."

"Just like that?"

"We are known for clubbing not hit singles."

"I'd say keep the name. The kids here will cope with a new DJ easily after you three decide to move on."

"If those two ever decide to move on."

He leans over in a low tone, "Holding you back?"

Grabbing my drink I stir the ice before downing the glass, "Or me them."

They know we can be better, they won't allow themselves to grow. I have known those two for years and as it's going now if I don't tell them what to do we will never get anywhere.

Jumping off the seat I look around the club, lights still strobing but no one around. No music to accompany the atmosphere. Making my way outside I drop a note on the counter, "Enjoy your night, Brian."

Pushing through the front door some of the people have littered the street with puke, drink, or glass. Some have already trailed off to a show happening on the street a few blocks down. Some rapping kid has been stirring up the neighborhood. Ready to head home I spot both Luis and Angel making their way to me, both rucksacks hanging from his shoulder.

"You're not going to abandon us this early are you?"

Fliping my phone out I sigh, "It is 1 in the morning."

"Sleep is for the weak, (Y/N)."

"That it is, goodnight."

Luis laughs as she pouts, grabbing my shoulder, "She just wants to see what the commotion is about. Come we won't stay long. They should have finished up"

Before being able to mutter a word he dragged me along with him. Already leading our group of three she ran out to join the crowd. We both sit against the building wall nearby. Reaching into his bag he grabs a bottle, almost downing everything inside of it.

"You good?"

He sighs resting his head, "Another long day is past us. We have been working tirelessly every day. The three of us grew a lot in these past years and well money isn't really a problem anymore."

The two of them were together since school, not sure if they dated in middle or high school but they have been together but we never had money.

"We have plenty of that. We got a shit ton of deals with other artists. What if we became more... bigger?"

He smirks, "Love the confident attitude. We will become stars."

I hope that your confidence and trust aren't misplaced, Luis. A smile spreads across my face as I see the group of individuals rapping. Each delivering a line stronger than the other, but just as the last voice's echo disappears they applauded. The whole city seemed to agree as it lit up like a firework.

The crowd dispersed and everyone kept to themselves. All but Angel ran up to one of the kids who were busy rapping. The two of them seemed to have met before, Luis waves them at to come closer.

The crowd has almost fully dispersed, lifting myself to my feet I stare at the girl that Angel is dragging along with her.

"This is the Rogue rapper that Luis and I have been talking about!" she looks up at me with stars in her eyes.

She wasn't much shorter than me but she seemed rather slim, no doubt she is beautiful.

I plainly stick out my hand, "(Y/n)."

Flashing a smile she returns my greeting, "Akali."

Returning the smile, Angel throws her arms around her, "She said she will take a look at our work see if there is anything we may or can improve on."

Before anyone else could speak up she lifted her hands up, "I have some of my own stuff to handle for the rest of tonight. Meet here tomorrow?"

The two of them agree almost immediately, I simply nod. I give them a wave and start making my way down the road. Burying my hands into my pockets I look up at the skyline, we have gotten far from simple houses where you could still see the clouds.

Dreamers, that is what the two of them are, and I am just an intermediary between their dreams and reality. Whoever this person is I am not sure what value their input will bring us, we will see I figure.

About an hour later I reach my apartment and push into the door.

The red light was blinking on my phone; either my brother or sister asking for one of their favors. Mom and Dad wouldn't dare call this late or any time soon. The apartment was empty a table with three chairs if those two ever decided to visit. A small kitchen and a bathroom that could almost hold a single person. 

Next to the bed was my workstation, with my window to the world. Living higher than the rest I can stare out at this world. Even from here, you could still see the stars. I would have had a bigger apartment by now but this is enough.  

Tearing the clothes off of me I dropped into the bed burying my head into the pillows. I can't wrap my head around it, what would a street rapper be able to do for us? I doubt there is much but gotta stick with their judgment not that I really trust it at all. But she is gorgeous and the rapping scene suits her.

Not long after I slip from this reality.