[2] scouts

song:
giants - kenneth edwards

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

chapter 2: scouts

I vowed to never love anyone, ever again, even though I knew it was a ridiculous sentiment.

I saw what love did to my parents, what love did to me, and to be completely honest, I wasn't even sure I knew how to love. To me, love was fighting, screaming, and not being able to leave a dangerous situation. Love was bruises and cuts. Love was kissing to fill a void. Love was something I never wanted. Besides, if I didn't love, I wouldn't have to worry about losing what was close to me.

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

As graduation rolled around, and clouds wavered above the horizon, we soon stood saluting our commanding officers and higher-ups. Smiles and anxious waiting loomed in the air, almost suffocatingly so. Finally, we were granted the choice to our own future, and how we wanted to fight for humanity.

Fire illuminated off of our grins as Commandant Shadis loudly spoke, calling out the top ten candidates of our 104 Cadet Corps, or as the bottom-feeders liked to call us, "the lucky ones".

"In tenth, Sasha Blouse."

"Ninth, Connie Springer."

"Eighth, Marco Bott."

"Seventh, Jean Kirstein."

"Sixth, Eren Yeager."

"Fifth, Annie Leonhart."

"Fourth, Bertolt Hoover."

"Third, Reiner Braun."

...

"Second"

...

"Mikasa Ackerman."

Well, shit.

"First, Mae Vogel."

Huh?

"These are the top of your class, congratulations Soldiers."

What?

I mean, why the flying fuck was I ranked over Mikasa?

I could acknowledge my strength, my resolve, my resilience, but to say I was better than a crowd of bright-eyed people, who lived the same woes as me, was completely ridiculous. My peers and I worked the same days and nights, fought long and hard, and desperately tried to climb their way to the top... just like me. I was coming to terms with the fact that not all humans were born equal, at least not in the fucked up world. Not in skill, intelligence, luck, kindness, ignorance, or talent. No one was created to be on an even playing field. No one was truly free from the divine will of the universe.