[28] always

song:
the wisp sings - winter aid

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

chapter 28: always

I had to admit, the stars still shone the same, the breeze still tangled my hair, and the rain still dampened the earth in a sweet trickle of innocence, but even though the world seemed to remain silent, these past two months had never felt more unbearable.

After the battle with Reiner and Bertolt, our smiles were painted on mockingly, more than ever before. All of the sudden, the people we had called family, were people we never really knew in the first place. Friends were strangers, and those strangers were enemies. As sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen-year-olds, how the hell was anyone meant to comprehend the betrayal of true, cruel human nature? More than ever before, I realized how disgustingly vicious humans could be.

Two months of training, bickering, planning, thinking and sacrificing had completely whizzed by, but at the same time, each day passed agonizingly slow. Levi was constantly busy, preparing for the Scout's next expedition with the Commander and Hange. Eren drained his body of energy, day by day, but he had Mikasa, and Mikasa had Armin. Sasha, Connie, and Jean took the responsibility of mentoring the new Scouts, butchering their bright faces and warm smiles. Historia was now Queen, and everyone else was either dead or a Titan.

So, I was left alone...as per usual.

A few years...maybe even a few months ago, I constantly thought I was happiest by myself, terrified to entangle my fate too close with anyone else's. Now...I couldn't imagine my life without the people I called my family. The people I ate with, slept with, laughed with, cried with, made memories with, almost died with. The people I could never replace...ever. The people I...loved.

So, please, stay with me, guys. Stay with me, and grow old with me. We can daydream with the clouds, whistle with the wind, lay with the stale grass. We can watch the world crumble, I don't care. Just hang on...for me.

Please.

The mission to take back Wall Maria was set to take place two days from now.

For the first time in five years, at long last, I was going to see my childhood home again, right outside the gates of Shiganshina. Its beige shutters, cracked front porch steps, and slightly crooked front door. The place where everything began, even before the Wall fell. The broken home where I received lifelong scars along my skin, where I lived in an abusive household for twelve agonizing years, where...where Caleb died.

Where Caleb was murdered.

My past had never been effortless to accept or to come to terms with. Levi had helped to soothe the torment, whether he knew it or not, but I still felt a sting in my heart. One day...one day, I would learn to admit to the baggage I had been carrying this entire time...one day.