SoulMates

Cayden could always see the strings of others as they connect to their soulmates. And for a long time, he had thought he was the only one until he met Alec. Who also claimed to be able to see the red strings connect soul mates. The only thing was they could never see one another or their own strings or who they connected too. For all, they knew they could be connected to a stranger but the two didn't particularly care who needed a soul mate when they had one another at least that was what they both thought. Until the day everything changed.

Cayden had been trying to read when he heard a knock outside his door. Before even opening the door Cayden already knew it would be Alex. Cayden opened the door only for his suspension to be confirmed.

"Okay what do you need", Cayden asked, knowing the routine. Alec may be Cayden's age but often he relied on Cayden more than he should.

"Do I need something to visit my best friend?"

"Usually you do need something so what do you need this time. A kidney perhaps or a heart", Cayden joked being used to this.

Alec rubbed Cayden's hair before barging in like he always did carrying his bag. "I need you to beta this", Alec asked, pulling out a folder with papers sticking out of it.

"Seriously why don't you get someone else to do it?"

"Because its BL (Boy Love) and as you know", Alec started.

"Yes yes your parents don't know about you writing BL much less being gay", Cayden finished. Before taking the folder and opening it up. Alec and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. He was the first person I told about the strings Cayden recalled.

*Years Ago*

Cayden and Alec had been walking home from the used manga store with their bags full of used manga. When they passed by a gay couple and both Cayden accidentally tripped over a string. "Are you okay", they asked one another in unison.

"I just tripped over one of the dang strings", they both responded at the same time. To give one another a surprised look. "You can see them too", they asked in unison. Before both of them nodded. Both Cayden and Alec didn't understand what it meant or what love was.

"Hey want to go and", Alec started?

"Read", Cayden finished before Alec nodded taking Cayden's hand. What they both didn't know at the time was that one day would change their lives as they knew forever.

*Present Day*

They had moved in together after high school to save money as they tried to find jobs. Alec would try to find places for his stories to be published. While Cayden would try and launch his career as a photographer/filmmaker. Afterward, once they both found jobs Alec moved next

door shortly afterward. Even though both worked constantly they still found time to be friends. Cayden was always the first person to read Alec's work. Even the first person Alec told that he was gay. What Alec didn't know was that Cayden already knew that he was gay even before Alec told him. Cayden also knew he was gay for Alec. "You still there", Alec asked, snapping Cayden out of his thoughts. Cayden smiled a fake smile before nodding. "So is it any good?"

"It's as good as it always is"

Alec smiled before Cayden tried to hand it back to him. "Come on we both know you weren't reading"

"I was reading it"

"Okay then", Alec said before starting off a dozen things that Cayden didn't know.

"Fine maybe I didn't read it"

"So what were you thinking about?"

Cayden smiled a fake smile. "It's nothing Alec"