Friendly

It was a scorching summer morning. I was standing in a long line outside of the DupleMax Mall along with hundreds, if not thousands of people that were waiting in line for the place to open after the governor gave the all clear for the establishments to open after the pandemic fiasco the previous day after months of isolation and social distancing. I had my usually long brown hair in a braid but due to the insufferable heat, I made an updo. I wore my sunglasses and had my scarf slung over to my shoulders to block some of the UV rays. I was the last in line until a tall man in his early 20s stood behind me.

"Are you the last one?" He asked me.
"Yes." I replied.

"Thanks, I thought I'll never reach the end of the line." As much as he liked to strike a conversation, I wasn't interested. I already had to withstand the summer heat, the rays of sunlight, and I had a lot of things on my mind.
"Ok." I said, but I was thinking about the food, the sleepwear, new clothes to replace the faded worn out ones, the furniture...
"Have you seen the line turning on the corner, full of people?" He asked, but I wasn't listening.

"That's true." I replied absentmindedly.
"I remember years ago, when my father came to do this and I made fun of him. And now look at me..." He commented.
"Right."

Where was I going with this? Great! I lost my train of thought and the guy wouldn't stop rambling.

"At least I brought a book to keep me entertained while waiting and..." When he took out his book from his satchel, I made a suggestion.

"Listen, Mr, why don't you make us both a favour and read your book?" I looked at him straight at the eye, when he fidgeted his fingers.

"Alright! I'll shut up! I was only being friendly." He replied. I relaxed and slumped my shoulders.
"Ok." I agreed.

...

What a great mistake that would be. He read his stupid book out loud! For over half an hour! Thank God the line was moving forward, though only allowing 30 people to enter instead of the nearly three hundred forty something people that were waiting in line, some of them sitting on camping chairs. I was hungry, and holding the urge to not pee my yellow shorts. And the guy wouldn't stop talking! If I heard another fragment, I would lose it. To my surprise, he stopped talking.

Good.

I thought he finally shut his trap so that I could figure out what else I have to pay aside from-
"Because one cannot even..."
"Enough! Give me the book!" I snatched the book from his hands and ripped the pages from his book.
"What are you doing?" He shouted.

"I've had it! I had enough of your rambling and your stupid book! Ever heard of audiobooks?! You can download an app and hear it as long as you want using your headphones for free!" I crumpled some of the pages and stomped on the book.

When I lifted my foot off of the book and saw that had shoe marks on it. The title said: HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS IN TIMES OF CRISIS.

You gotta be kidding.

I opened the corner of the crumpled paper and read the chapter title that was in my hand. HOW TO BE FRIENDLY.

I thought my day was bad until I felt pairs of eyes watching me. I turned around and saw a group of people staring at me, some of them recording my outburst.

Seriously? No one did anything to stop this man from reading out loud, disturbing the peace, but when I do something about it. They pull out the phone to record me as if I were some kind of freakshow.

"I'm outta here!" I throw the piece of paper on the pavement and leave the place. No doubt that they'll post it on social media and make me look like the bad guy.