Almost noon

In Iota, an islet located in the southern east pacific in Eadd. Before the great disaster there were 1,808 inhabitants. The population dwindled in half in a span of a year. The survivors had to kill off their cattle in order to sustain themselves, especially since their land dried up. The survivors reverted back to trading like an ancient times. If you want food, you have the hunt. If you want water, you have to dig to make a well. If you want a place to stay, you have to build your own shelter. Just like the olden days. Salvage whatever you can find or feed your corpse to the maggots. The 904 inhabitants assigned an elder that was deemed trust worthy to lead each sector. 

Nana Huan, an elder and a healer of the north sector that treated the sickly and the weak. A specialist in herbal medicine.

Roco Mangual, elder of the east, was once a poet, but now lead the trade of materials for construction in his region.

Sulima Santana, elder of the south, was once a meteorologist in the golden ages. So sby extension, she can estimate when will be the right time to plant the crops. Their turf is in charge distributing or rationing the food that can be found in their area.

Will West, he was chosen for his name sake as the elder of the west. And also there were rumors that he has a relative that works in the mainland of Eadd that brings the shipment of exported goods. The west region is in charge of transportation, because the port is the only sliver of hope that we have to connect from the outside world.

I am one of those inhabitants that live on the west sector of the islet.

[11:59 PM; Iota Islet, West Port, 07/18/20]

"What time is it?" Alam asked me as I looked at the cracked wrist watch under the merciless wrath of the sun's rays.
"Almost noon, I think." I replied to him as I raised an arm to block the blinding sunlight from my eyes.
"They should be arriving anytime." My cousin replied, Cosme stood on the look out as he used his binoculars, checking if there was a ship in sight.
"Sometimes, when the sea looks like this, they don't come." Sahara replied, she is Sulima's granddaughter who inherited her love for the weather.
"They have to. We are almost out of food." Milka replied, she came all the way from the north sector to provide food for her sick child. If you ask me, The blonde picked the wrong era to reproduce.
"They don't exist only to provide for us." Alam chastised her.
"I know... I'm just hungry." Milka replied rubbing her baby bump to further prove my point.
"We can only wait and see." Cosme reminded us as he scouted through his binoculars.
"Do you remember the times when we had canned food?" Milka added.
"How can I forget! Those were golden ages compared to this." I replied before the clock hand of my cracked wrist watch struck to 12.
"Cosme! Do you see anything?" Alam shouted.
"No! Nothing!" He shouted before spotting the ship. "No wait! It's coming! It's coming!" Cosme came out of his hiding spot and headed to the pier. "It's heading this way!" He shouted, the rest of us following him.

When he reached to the dock, we could see the ship coming our way. Sahara raised her arms in the air like an energetic child, the rest of us raised an arm to wave. I also waved like an idiot, when you go for more than three days without eating you would do a doggy dance too if you're given the chance to eat.

"After they bring the shipment, may be you can find a new watch to replace that old relic." Alam suggested.
"This old relic helped us in getting to the port early this morning."
"Whatever you say, Owen." He rolled his eyes at my response. Typical.