From the roof

Crime

Sitting on the rooftop, Ryan is trying to fix that crack.
From there he can see all the neighborhood as he usually can't from his house.
And then he sees it, three houses away from his, two men that seem to be just talking until one of them takes out a gun and shoots the other one.

[Ryan's POV]

I couldn't believe my eyes.
I was sitting on the rooftop before I positioned my self to fix the crack that's been on the roof for months. I made the mixture of the plaster to cover it with some wet cement, though it took hours to dry. I watched over the neighborhood. To my right there was the street of the cul-de-sac, and to my left there was three houses away from mine. Two men seemed to be talking from where I could see.

One of them took out a gun, in a blink of an eye, the other one got shot.

The man that shot him ran away far from the block, I went down from the rooftop to call an ambulance.

*

"That's all that I can tell you, sir." Ryan told the instigator. He was at the delegation, giving his testimony.

"Do you know what the perpetrator looked like?" The delegate asked him.

"From what I could see, the man wore a trucker hat, a grey hoodie, had a red beard, and a fat belly, a grey sports pants and brown boots." Ryan replied.

The delegate called in his former colleague, Boniface, into the scene. The detective had tawny skin, a bald head, round nose, a wide jaw, a grey trenchcoat, and white gloves. He brought a manila folder full of mugshots of the suspects. Forty-eight photos of different perpetrators where displayed on the desk for the blond witness to examine. "Tell us which one of the perps you recognize." Boniface said, his eyes focused.

Ryan propped his elbows unto the desk, and he looked at the mugshots one by one to identify the culprit. Thirty-six of the mugshots were discarded, leaving the remaining twelve. Then four remained, four of these men had red beards, half of them dyed and the other half natural.

Ryan immediately recognized the wrinkled facial expression of the perpetrator. The red stubbly facial hair of the shooter. "That's him!" Ryan pointed out. Boniface grabbed the photo and showed it to the delegate.

"Geoffrey Mulligan", the delegate responded with a cold sneer. The guy was a redneck that came from a poor background, he got arrested for selling meth and crack eight years ago.

For Ryan, it was one crack after another. First the crack that he fixed on his roof, and now he found another one.

[Author's Note: This is my successful story to date. It reached 2nd place on the weekly challenge on Auctor. I would like to thank everyone who liked and commented on my story. Thank you so much.] 🥈