One

Max POV

I never wake up with an alarm clock beside me. I wake up at the sound of my mom shouting for the nth time to get us get up and prepare for school. But now is different as I have to live alone away from my parents, I mean, I love how I can freely do the things I love to do anytime and just do nothing if I wanted to but as an Asian kid, my family play a big role in my daily routine.

Every morning I would see my father taking a sip of his coffee while reading a newspaper, see my mother happily seeing at the kitchen while at the same time shouting at me and my sister to wake up and do our shits and I'll miss how my little brother would go to our room and kiss me all over my face just to wake me up. But despite all of this, I want to embrace this new setting so I excitedly fix my bed and turn to my drawer to decide what I'm going to choose to wear today.

It's my first day as a senior high school student!! You could probably see the excitement there. For some of you that do not know about what Senior High school is, it covers the last two years of the K to 12 program and includes Grades 11 and 12. In SHS, students can follow a track of their choosing through a core curriculum and subjects. Learners will gain skills that will help prepare them for the future over these two additional years whether it be: Employment, Entrepreneurship, Skills Development (Further Tech-Voc training) and Higher Education (College). Yeah, so anyway...

I settled with a black pants and black shirt, putting everything on my backpack. See, I came from the province and it wasn't my first time in the city but it was my first time exploring alone this busy streets and noisy hallways. The rural scene is way more different that the urban scenery. Here I can loudly hear honks of cars and other vehicles as billboards and tarpaulins are hang on the walls and posts alongside each buildings. People are seen everywhere minding their own business and not even taking a glimpse at how the sun touched their skin.

I never missed to eat breakfast. That gives me energy for the whole day.

As I entered the gate, flocks of students came into my view. Students who seemed popular and rich, the geeks, the loners and emos, the usual university scene that would make you feel that excitement as you start your first day. Oh! And don't forget the couples that were both hugging each other as if we have snow at this time of the year, June.

It was hot, at least for me or is that because I'm just hot? Anyway...

Different faces I've seen and I could tell they have their own stories to tell. Well, let me tell you something about me.

I'm Max, 17, probably not your oh-so-typical teenager. I graduated high school with flying colors, but for the record, I'm not into books and I'm not into studying too much I just felt like i need to pas-- well, that's a lie... I was so used to recognitions, to activities that gives me more knowledge and honed my skills, I love joining camps and social groups. I mean, it's a need to establish some pride for you in this time. So yeah, I am too engrossed to study here so I can be a better version of myself and have something stable when I grow old, typical Asian kid.

The sound of the bell brings me to my consciousness. The principal had given some instructions but I was too busy finding some familiar faces I've seen from the camps I get to join to. The world must be really small, I am not expecting to see many familiar faces here.

"you're in a different class!?" an exasperated voice speaks from my side. Well, I'm not a loner. Four of us from my old high school moved here as well.

I faced Julia and gives a small smile.

"yes, but we'll be still seeing each other most of the time. Your room is just five rooms away from mine." I reassured her.

I've known Julia since freshmen year, she's also one of my church mates along with Amber, Cj and Cris. Amber and Julia have the same class together as well as Cj and Cris.

"we'll have to meet up at the canteen at around 12, yeah?" Amber chirped and we all nod and part ways as I find my homeroom. The room i will be in for the next two years of my life.

I go with the mob while a student probably my age is leading us the way. I've done my research about the place and all so I just go with the flow, when someone pinch my side.

"heeeey! You're here!!" I looked up and see who it was and I recognized him to be one of my friends outside school. Gideon. He looked thin but good enough. His smile grew as he noticed I was eyeing him.

"You do remember me, right?" he asks bewildered.

"Of course, I do. Who am I to forget that smart boy who always finds his way to let his excellent thoughts out?" I remarked. That's true. Gideon is one hella competitive guy. And that's what I liked about him, he's gay too and I don't have any issue with that. I find it comfortable with these people.

"HHAHAHAHAHA. your little smart ass and your smart mouth. So, hope we have the same class" He said giving me his schedule.

And was I so lucky I have him in all of my classes. I got to make more friends, I laughed at my own thoughts but it excites me.

The day went by just listening to people speaking and some of them instructing us on the guidelines and regulations of the school, which I am aware of already.

Tomorrow will be the start of the class and i need to have a good rest now.

------

A/N:

This is a work of pure fiction. Thank you for reading!