Chapter Twenty-Two

Let It Burn- Chapter Twenty-Two

Phil grabbed Dan's hand "I have an idea" he smiled warmly. "That idea being?" Dan asked, letting Phil pull him up. "You'll see" Phil giggled like a small child. "Okay I'm not so sure" Dan looked at Phil with nervous eyes. "It'll be okay. I promise." Phil placed a kiss on Dan's lips before guiding him out of his room and out of their apartment. Phil pointed to the stairs "follow me" he waited for Dan who chewed his lip. "Okay" he spoke wearily following Phil up the flights. "Phil, how are we going to get into where we're supposedly heading?" Phil held up a shiny metal key with a smile on his face. They came to a stop in front of a giant metal door. "Ready?" Phil asked key in one hand and Dan's hand in the other. Dan nodded as his heart leaped from his chest. Phil unlocked the heavy door and led himself and Dan out onto the rooftop. Dan's eyes bulged out "P-Phil is this safe?" He asked tremoring as his legs gave way to buckle. Phil caught Dan "it's okay. Do you trust me?" Dan nodded, taking Phil's hand again. Phil walked steadily toward the edge of the building. He pushed himself up on the ledge as the wind whipped his fringe every which way. "Are you crazy Phil!" Dan shouted over the heavy gusts of wind. "I am when I'm with you" Phil shouted back. "Join me?" Phil required as he looked down at Dan. Dan nodded slowly "only for a minute" he promised as he climbed on the ledge. "So Phil what are we doing here?" Dan asked, his legs shaking wildly. "Can't you smell the freedom Dan? We are away from everything. The air smells fresh. We're okay." Phil raised his hands slowly "we're pushing boundaries?" Dan tilted his head as his eyebrow quirked. "This is where we leave our comfort zone. Tell me Dan do you hear anything?" Phil turned his head towards Dan. "No, the voice is gone" Phil nodded "you are conquering the worst of your fears Dan. You're giving the voices in your head a reason to leave you be. You're proving them to be invalid. You're showing bravery Dan." Dan nodded "I guess so" Dan lost his footing as his eyes flew open and heart pounded fast. "Hey, I won't let you fall. I got you." Phil jumped down onto the rooftop offering a hand to Dan. Dan grabbed it and slid off the wall and down to Phil. "I-I did it!" Dan shouted before he tackled Phil down "I was able to ignore the voices!" Dan brushed the fringe from Phil's face, landing a sugary kiss on his thin lips. Phil breathed it in feeling the mint swirl from Dan's mouth into his own. "Watch the stars with me?" Phil asked, turning to Dan. The younger male nodded, his back cool on the chilly rooftop as he glanced at the stars. Phil sighed and his breath came out as smoke in the air. "Not to poison the mood, but of all people to spend the rest of your life with why me?" Phil giggled "sometimes opposites will attract to one another. While I'm the calm one, you level me out and give me a purpose to be happy. We're alike in a lot of ways but that doesn't matter to me. When I first saw you at that bar you seemed to be out of place. You looked like à lost puppy chasing its owner. I felt connected to you that day and as the days and hours and even months and years passed as we got closer I didn't feel the need to shy away from you. I felt comfortable with you to share my everything. You are stubborn and yet of all people you let me in and let me experience life through your perspective. You let me see that you've been let down before and I wanted to repair you not as a robot who is incapable of love but a boy who can learn to let go just a little-" Dan nodded placing a wispy kiss on Phil's cheek. "Thank you for being the best of friends with me. Thank you for showing me the purpose to smile. Thank you for not having to change completely around me" Phil nodded as the two spent their night out in the chilly air staring at the stars that made them feel just a little brighter inside.