Chapter Nine

Let It Burn- Chapter Nine

PJ looked down at his friend who was clung to his shirt sleeping as peaceful as he could. PJ whispered in Dan's ear "I'm so deeply sorry about Phil. I don't understand what you're going through but I want you to know that I care. I so deeply care about you. I want you to know I'm your friend not your enemy." PJ stared out at the darkness as he sat quietly. PJ glanced down at Dan again, he frowned. He couldn't move Dan, this was one of the first nights he actually slept somewhat peaceful. He kept a close eye on the twenty nine year old. Soon the sun came up and Dan woke with fresh tears coating his pale face. PJ pulled him in for a hug "is he really gone" Dan hid his face against PJ's hoodie. PJ decided to let the silence wash over them. Dan nodded "of course he is. He was just as much a criminal as I was. He always loved the danger whatever it could bring. We had a deep bond, that's how we met all those years ago. For your twenty first birthday when he and I met… I'll confess we left. Something about the air seemed daring so we made out. I told him to be careful around me because I could be à criminal for all he knew. He never cared he still loved me. He had a good heart and he told me he loved saving people from their demons or their messed up reality. One night at the old apartment he and I were getting ready to binge watch Netflix. He told me he was going to run out for food. I allowed him to. Someone was speeding behind him and backended the car. His car got all smashed up and the seatbelt locked in choking him out. His face was suffocated in the airbag. One of the people who tried to help him called the ambulance and tried to keep him from passing out. As the ambulance cut him out of the seatbelt and took him in on the gurney they drove to the hospital. The injuries were irreversible. He sustained amnesia he forgot so much. Years of laughter and kisses just were lost. He could barely remember me. I would tell him more about me every night before we would go to bed. Months passed and he didn't get better. He started losing his sight. I became his shoulder to lean on and the one to guide him everywhere. When the amnesia struck again and he became visually impaired I had to explain to him what I looked like. I explained everything to him and he wasn't upset. He seemed happier. He told me that I was his everything and he told me he loved me." Dan wiped away his tears as PJ nodded his eyes glossy as well. 

"Eighteenth of October about a year back. Phil was completely blind and without consulting me walked through the house. That damn table. The same one that made his arms bleed out he trips over it falls face flat on the carpet. I heard a thud so I obviously ran to go ask if he was alright. I found him lying far from unconscious on the ground. The second I shook him he began to violently seize. I rushed to get a pillow but by the time I came back…" Dan trailed off. "Dan I-I'm so sorry. I didn't know!" PJ wiped his eyes as Dan nodded "I'm sorry too" he gave a pity laugh as he frowned at the sun rising.