Chapter Seventeen

Let It Burn-Chapter Seventeen

PJ turned to Sophie whispering in her ear what Phil requested and she nodded. PJ bopped his head to the radio and Dan and Phil sang Toxic by Brittney Spears in the back of the car. 

"Baby, can't you see

I'm calling

A guy like you should wear a warning

It's dangerous

I'm falling" 

Dan sang the first verse poking Phil as the two took turns showing off their singing ability. Where PJ was driving wasn't far from where they currently were. The boys in the back eventually cooled down and napped again. The car pulled into a large parking lot shortly after the boys fell asleep. PJ poked Phil "it's PJ, we're where you requested. Should I get Dan up?" Phil shook his head not yet. Someone help me out of the car though. I'll go set up." Phil turned toward the car door letting himself out. PJ followed after him. "Got everything you need?" PJ asked, walking slowly next to Phil. Phil nodded "yeah" he breathed out nervous. PJ looked up at the familiar sign before guiding Phil inside. "Where do you want the journal?" PJ asked, holding the small leather bound journal in his left hand. Phil pointed to a barstool he felt next to his hip. "Here is good," PJ nodded, setting the journal on the counter. "Ah gentlemen" spoke the worker. "The usual?" He lifted an eyebrow "You know it" Phil nodded. The worker slid a glass next to the journal. "Can you please change the light color and the song in here? I'm sorry if I sound demanding I want to make this perfect." Phil spoke his body shaking "Phil it'll be okay." PJ gave Phil à side hug. "Y-yeah for sure." 

The employee came back with the lights becoming vibrant blues, reds, and greens. "Perfect Matt" PJ nodded as Matt changed the song "text Dan for me please" Phil handed over his phone from his pocket. 

PJ grabbed the phone and shot Dan a quick text.

Phil: hurry come inside

Dan: Phil what is it? 

Phil: I can't say 

Dan: Phil you can trust me

Phil: please Dan come inside

Dan: alright sure

Dan tapped Sophie "Phil wants me inside the building. I'm sure you can come with me." Dan opened the car door waiting for Sophie. "Let's go" she replied stoic for what was to come. Dan nodded as both closed their car doors. Dan walked at a faster pace pulling open the sleek wooden doors. His heart was racing as he looked over. His face glowing blues, and reds, and greens. As if on cue a song Dan somewhat knew came on.  

"Everybody's looking for love

Ain't that the reason you're at this club

You ain't gonna find a dance with him, no, no

Got a better solution for you girl" 

Dan gasped as Phil walked over a smile on his face. "Hi" Dan blushed a hot pink as Phil's mint breath fanned on him. "Uh hi," Dan spoke, remembering this moment well. His eyes met with Phil's now pale ones, his hair was still the same though. "I'm Phil" spoke the older male holding out his hand. "Dan" spoke the taller boy. "Would you like to go somewhere more quiet?" Dan nodded. 

"Just leave with me now, say the word and we'll go (and we'll go)

I'll be your teacher, I'll show you the ropes (show you the ropes)

You'll see a side of love you've never known

I can see it going down, going down" 

Dan took in the now night sky. "P-phil he sputtered out. Phil handed over the leather notebook. Dan hesitated for a minute "go ahead you can read it aloud." Phil smiled and Dan opened the cover reading out the first page.

February 17th, 2010

Dear diary, can you believe I met this stunning boy at a bar. He was different from everyone I saw. He was alone and was one of the last sober ones there. I just had to introduce myself to him. Of course a sex song had to play which was kind of strange for just meeting this boy. It's as if I was under a spell when I led him outside where we really got to see each other. His eyes were golden in the pale moonlight and his hair began to curl under the brief heat of the night. Before I knew it we had kissed his lips tasted like honey. So sweet and it left me craving for more as the kiss deepened. One thing led to another and we connected overnight. 

Dan flipped the page reading aloud another passage.

December 25th, 2010

This is my first ever Christmas with Dan. We decided to move in together because like the two introverts we were, we felt closer to one another rather than the rest of society. I loved seeing him smile at the stupid small things I love his smiles and the way his hair curls when it's wet. Anyway we didn't do much and yet it was one of the best days of my life.

Another page flipped of what seemed like Phil's favorite memories.

February 14th, 2011

It's Valentine's day yet here I am in my room writing this right now. Neither Dan or I had plans today. But I wanted to show him how much I appreciated him so I surprised him with a trip to a local carnival. His eyes lit up as he ran towards the pastel candy floss. The pink and blue attracting him as I looked from afar a smile unlocking on my face. I called out his name as he paid for the floss. He handed it to me and smiled. "Try it" he demanded cutely. His dimple showing as he giggled. The candy melting smoothly in my mouth. "I love this as much as I like you!" Dan giggled and yet my heart fluttered faster than before. 

Dan looked up "Phil" Phil smiled at him "keep reading it's okay" Dan let out a shuttery breath continuing towards the back of the journal.

October 18th, 2019

I fled, I ran as fast as I could. My heart pumping. After Dan passed out from crying I left. My heart started to hurt yet there was no turning back in my mind. I wanted to make it right but I didn't know how. I had an idea so extreme that it might just make me seem insane. 

Dan quirked an eyebrow but read on.

March 15th, 2020

So it looks like I'm in the "slammer" as people call it. Who knew leading a blind person into a store was a bad thing. I had very few tricks up my sleeve and it would break Dan's heart to know that I stole something big. Like really big. Before I knew it I was swallowing it. I swallowed a ring. I don't know what came over me but I just ran. The store manager called the cops on me and off to jail I had gone.

March 25th, 2020

Turns out that the ring stayed in my system long enough till when I got bailed out. Two whole weeks. I feel like this might be crazy but when I come back from prison I want to do something I've wanted to do since I was young.

March 30th, 2020

Dan looked up "Phil today's the thirtieth. This is blank what?" Dan stood glancing at Phil. Phil cleared his throat "Today is the day I'm going to do it. The day I'm going to make Dan finally smile again. After leaving him for à year I need to make it up to him. So here it goes Daniel Howell I brought you to the same place we met. The day that I felt the happiest in a long time. Maybe it was the constant support or the midnight kisses we shared but I want that all the time with you. I want to make you the happiest person alive." 

Dan still felt confused as Phil dropped to one knee. 

"Romeo, save me, I've been feeling so alone

I keep waiting for you, but you never come

Is this in my head? I don't know what to think

He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring

And said, "Marry me, Juliet

You'll never have to be alone

I love you and that's all I really know"

Dan gasped "Phil, I- yes!" Dan fell to the floor hugging Phil. "Yes!" Phil handed Dan the box. Dan opened it taking out the ring, setting it on his finger. "I can't wait to spend the rest of my days with you Phil"